Foal Heat

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
Someone help me here, how long after a mare foals does it take till she comes into foal heat?

My mare had her colt saturday, an April fools baby. :

J":2ztkumgl said:
Someone help me here, how long after a mare foals does it take till she comes into foal heat?

Congrates on the colt, wish mine would come. I'm of the understanding that foal heat usally comes about 10 days after the foal, although when my mare had her last foal 2 yrs ago her foal heat was 3 days after the foal.

If you're thinking a breeding back on the foal heat, I've been told by 2 different Equine Vets that the chances of concieving and maintaining a fetus is around 50%. Where you can wait about 20 days from the birth, induce into heat and have a much better chance.

Got a pic?

Alan

Thanks Alan, I really don't want to breed this mare again because she is my working mare and it seemed like at the end I needed her a bunch. Plus she is a naturally fat horse (an easy keeper, too easy) and I need to work some off of her, it doesn't look healthy. I'll try and get a picture up of him. No promises though. ;-) He's a leggy little booger but sweet.

Good luck with yours, I'd say leave for a few hours and it'll be there when you get back. I was gone most of the afternoon and evening of saturday, got up sunday morning and there was a new addition out in the pasture. :D

I wish it would happen quick, easy and healthy. I haven't been paying as much to my 2 cows yet to calve found a nice little heifer this morning who by it's activity level must have been born yesterday sometime. Makes 8 calves with 1 to go.

Alan

J":6ny1g221 said:

8 days after birth I have my broodmares back at the stud to re-breed. I haven't had any problems with the mares settling. They are covered three times, once every other day. This past year, I gave the two gals off, and gave them a lute shot Tuesday, and dropped them off at the stud this past Saturday. When we brought them in to the farm, they were ready, and it showed.

Latest posts