Foal Heat Yellow Discharge

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My mare foaled 72 hours ago, her and foal are doing well, She is eating normal, stools are normal, no fever. This morning I noticed that she was winking and squirting a milky yellowish mucus (sp), no puss just off yellow. My question is; it's too early for a foaling heat, I believe foal heats are about 10 days, I believe the yellow discharge to be normal, but is the winking normal? We plan to A.I. her during her foaling heat.

Thanks Alan

Alan":2c255ptd said:
My mare foaled 72 hours ago, her and foal are doing well, She is eating normal, stools are normal, no fever. This morning I noticed that she was winking and squirting a milky yellowish mucus (sp), no puss just off yellow. My question is; it's too early for a foaling heat, I believe foal heats are about 10 days, I believe the yellow discharge to be normal, but is the winking normal? We plan to A.I. her during her foaling heat.

Thanks Alan

I have heard of foal heats as early as 3 days after foaling- You may be A.I.ing her quicker than you thought.

Foal heat is generally 8-10 days after foaling, but can be sooner. If you're worried about the discharge, you could give her a shot of oxytocin (1cc in the muscle), and/or give her some sulfa tablets for a week or so. Also, check her hooves--if they feel warm, she could be brewing a uterine infection which can lead to founder.

Thanks for the response, took her to an equine reproduction vet. He said discharge is normal, but the winking was the beginning of the foal heat cycle, put her on regu-mate. She'll be on that for about two weeks (one more week) and then take her off to catch the heat cycle and breed her A.I.

Alan

Latest posts