Fly tags

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a friend that swears by them. She is convinced that they work well. I think that it also depends on the brand. Some better than others.

We put some in last year for the first time. I think they lasted a good 2.5 months at least, which I was very surprised. This year we won't put them on quite so early. Probably do them in a few weeks when we do some preg checks and calf vacs

I put them on early this year ( late March) and they didn't seem to work as well as last year when I put them on in July. Maybe different conditions or just hotter dryer weather.

Do they help with the horse flies and other big biting flies?
My rubs and the rabon blocks seem to be helping a lot with horn flies etc, but the big biters are everywhere this year, especially right at dusk. Driving the cattle nuts.

greybeard":3l0w2o0v said:
Do they help with the horse flies and other big biting flies?
My rubs and the rabon blocks seem to be helping a lot with horn flies etc, but the big biters are everywhere this year, especially right at dusk. Driving the cattle nuts.
A shotgun might work with horseflys. Best you can do is sanitation and preventing areas from getting soggy that are places the HFs breed.

That's not encouraging Dun. The whole national forest all around me is now a bog--it was a very wet April and May--June has started the same way.

Latest posts