Fly tags

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Considering putting in fly tags into the young stock who are always in a pasture that isn't easy to doctor in.

I used some old ones last year that I bought at neighbors auction. Don't even remember what name they were, probably 20 years old, but were still sealed in package and soft when I applied them. Had no fly issues, with them being applied in the right ear alone, which is a change from recent years. Maybe it was a fluke, but I am willing to give it a chance again.

Tag I am considering is the Python tag, because of its broad, fly coverage. Any insights into preferred brands or experiences? If I only do the young grassers (fall calves/coming yearlings) in one ear, one 20 count box should do them - so it's not like I am investing big money into fly tags.

I haven't used the fly ear tags before but plan to start, since we had a bad pinkeye case last summer. I read that you can use in both ears, or one. Does using one in each ear produce better results? Do the cows tend to tear them off? (I have a yearling we can't keep a # tag on for love nor money. She is now and forevermore "No Tag.").

Latest posts