Fly tags

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What about using fly tags for insect control? My folks swear by them. My feed store guy says put one on the mama and one on the calf and both will be covered... but I will probably put the tags in both ears on each animal. What does everyone think about the tags, pro and con?

[email protected]

Long long ago in a land far far away we used them. Haven't used them for years now. Neighbor uses them in both ears has pink eye all the time. We use the face/back mop with diesel and permethrin and don't have any. We have several Herefords he has none. He has to renew the tags regularly and has to run his animals through the chute a whole lot more then we do. We do once in the spring, once (hopefully) to breed, and once in the fall. Later in the year, after breeding season, we use minerals with Rabon and that really cuts them down drasticlly.

dunmovin farms

> What about using fly tags for
> insect control? My folks swear by
> them. My feed store guy says put
> one on the mama and one on the
> calf and both will be covered...
> but I will probably put the tags
> in both ears on each animal. What
> does everyone think about the
> tags, pro and con?

We use both the Sweetlix blocks with raybon added and spary with pemerthin. We have beenh able to control the flys even here in hot and humid Texas.

[email protected]

So interesting.... my folks had pink eye big time on all their light colored animals UNTIL my mother insisted that they spend their money on the tags. I have noticed here in the hot high desert that the tags don't have much effect after a couple of months, so I have had to "supplement" with the pour-ons... $$$$ ... the "wipe" thing is something I should really consider. I have one with powder in it over the door of one slab and it seems to work swimmingly. In the Okanogan, I saw this green thing that the ranchers are starting to use. It must be all of six feet long by a diameter of eighteen inches. I have seen in suspended in the air, laying on the ground, and put on a post for the bulls to rub on. I can't find anything like it, but it looked like it would be quite useful. Have you seen anything like what I have just described in your area?

[email protected]

I don't know exactly, If I remember correctly, it works by doing something to the flys themselves. Makes them sterile or something like that. I rember reading an ad somewhere and deciding to try them,and they worked great.
> Sorry about the no message
> thing.... what is it doing to the
> insides of a cow to ingest an
> insecticide?

[email protected]

It's not an insecticide, it's a larvacide. It passes through the cows system. The fly lays it's egg and they hatch, the larva never pass out of the larva stage. The quail and wild turkeys seem to love those cow pats.

dunmovin farms

> Sorry about the no message
> thing.... what is it doing to the
> insides of a cow to ingest an
> insecticide?

I'll just make a small contribution to this discussion. I use to use tags here in Central Texas, according to label directions. Some tags 1 per animal, others required a tag in both ears. I alternated tags with different chemical components, which I think is a must for this method of control to be effective. We would work the calves in the spring which was a little to early to tag the cows and the tag's effectiveness ended in August, when we needed maximum control. Even with altering the different kinds of tags they soon became less and less effective. Why? fly resistance to the control being used. Why? Because I mis managed the use of the tag. They should be removed from the animal toward the end of their useful period. The control dose becomes so minimal that the fly can develope tolerance to that control, which demands alternating tags containing different controls. That means another trip thru the working pens. I prefer the back rub method used in combination with sprays etc. However, I do think tags are a useful and effective management tool if used correctly in the right situation, such as where penning is not a big issue. Tags are being improved every year.

What about using fly tags for
> insect control? My folks swear by
> them. My feed store guy says put
> one on the mama and one on the
> calf and both will be covered...
> but I will probably put the tags
> in both ears on each animal. What
> does everyone think about the
> tags, pro and con?

[email protected]

Maybe that's why the neigbor has so much problems. He puts them in in the spring, and cuts off the old tag the next spring to put in a new one.

dunmovin farms

> I'll just make a small
> contribution to this discussion. I
> use to use tags here in Central
> Texas, according to label
> directions. Some tags 1 per
> animal, others required a tag in
> both ears. I alternated tags with
> different chemical components,
> which I think is a must for this
> method of control to be effective.
> We would work the calves in the