fly tags

Help Support CattleToday:

dog doc

Reaction score
quick question
vacc, castrate and id tag in first few days/weeks of age in calves
want to put one fly tag per calf, how young do you normally do
company says wait until 3 months to not damage ears, not too worried about that, more about the damn flies

works best for me to tag, vaccinate and castrate at the 1 week age, then can turn them out, and not have to mess with after that
just wonder if going to overboard with fly tag and this age, or wait until 3 months, thanks for help

I think it might have something to do with how much the tags weighs. Tags don't all weigh the same from one brand to another.If they are light weight, I can't see any difference than ID tagging at birth.
My only question would be if the insecticide might be a little strong for the tender hide? When we fly tagged, we were using the old permethrin tags on the calves and they were light.
I don't tag now. Using spray, pour ons like Sabre or cattle rubs depending.

It's more of a timing thing. Even the best fly tags only work about 3months. So we used to try and time it so peek fly time was about 30 days after we tagged. The really good tags can irritate baby calf eyes, so just be aware.

I generally don't fly tag calves till they get a little older. They are gonna have face fly's no matter what you do because of getting milk on their face.

Would fly tags on calves 5-6 months old getting insecticide on the cows teats be a concern? Or just wait until after the calves are weaned?

@dog doc I would definitely not recommend using fly tags on calves that young, I would follow the guidelines on the product label. We fly tagged some young calves a couple years ago probably around 6 weeks old, and both calves ears became infected, and one developed a good sized growth on its ear at the site of the tag.
@ccr we have used fly tags for quite a few years, and as far as I know the tags on the calves don't affect the cow's udder.
Even though it means running the cattle through the chute again, and hot weather we wait until around late May at the very earliest or better yet into June to fly tag, as they just don't last long enough if put in earlier. Ever year I debate it but then usually go ahead and put tags in. We are also feeding a mineral that contains Clarifly.

Do u remove yours in the fall I don't all the time but I was told if left in the ear all year flies could become resistant
Yes, remove them in the fall, pick them up and put them in the trash. Have not had much success with fly control products. I am trying the fly control in the mineral this year, but believe that the cows and calves do not consume a constant daily amount of the mineral to get the best results.

Keep in mind, if you have neighboring cattle that have essentially no fly control, all your efforts will be doubled. At least.
I put out lick with fly control late March. Tried to get a jump on flies. Not working. I may have more flies this year, but it's still wet. I asked the neighbor really nicely if he would keep his flies on his side of the fence. I'm sure he will!

I put out lick with fly control late March. Tried to get a jump on flies. Not working. I may have more flies this year, but it's still wet. I asked the neighbor really nicely if he would keep his flies on his side of the fence. I'm sure he will!
This is one of the worst years we have had with flies,mosquitoes,tomato worms , just a lot of insects.
I wonder if the hard freeze we had in central Texas had something to do with it.
Alaska has a lot of cold weather and a lot of insects.

Roger. I know that the tubs with fly are not the most economical either. but I can handle them by myself. We move from rain to humidity after tomorrow. That's Texas for you. Our trip to Alaska last month, I had 5 mosquitoes attack at once. They had me in the first half, not gonna lie. They finally put me down, covid weight gain came in handy!

Latest posts