Fly tag Experience

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi, do the chemical fly tags they sell work? One kind work better than another? I'm thinking about using some, far as I know they haven't been used on the property before where I'm thinking about using them. The cows on that property get the fly tubs, but are still covered in fly's.

Yes. And no. We tried them years ago and they didn't seem to help, plus half of them broke off. It was an expensive experiment. Some producers swear by them but it's just a part of management; you still have to be diligent about control by spraying, rubs, powder, etc. Keep in mind, nothing will work very well if you have a neighboring pasture that has essentially zero fly control - they just come over to your place/your cows and it's double the effort. Additionally, while they protect the face (for a while), they don't offer full protection.

I've posted this pic before of my neighbors cow with "cancer" (that was his explanation when I texted him the pic). Notice the fly tags? And the flies?
1658062453044.jpeg

The ones that help are to nasty to handle. Double barrel tags help, but the last two times I used them it has hot and I forgot and wiped the sweat away from my eyes. My eyes watered for two days.
Even the best fly tags only last 3months. Timing is everything. Put them in to early and they quit working right when you need them most.
For the most part there just glorified fly swatters.

Some work better than others, even the ones that work decently don't last as long as advertised. I've used several of the kinds of Y Tex brand, and Corothon by Bayer. The Corothon tags were a waste of money, they might have worked for a couple weeks then it was back to covered in flies. Same with some of the YTex varieties. The best I have found is the Y Tex Python Magnum. They seem to work decent for around 3 months. The directions say to not use on calves under 3 months old. That is true, we found out the hard way with infected ears on a couple younger calves once. Won't make that mistake again.

They work for me .you have to pay attention to the active ingredient and rotate ingredients from year to year. You also need to remove them in the fall . If you don't rotate active ingredients and remove th in the fall all you are doing is creating drug resistant pests.

They work for me .you have to pay attention to the active ingredient and rotate ingredients from year to year. You also need to remove them in the fall . If you don't rotate active ingredients and remove th in the fall all you are doing is creating drug resistant pests.
We do remove ours in the fall, except did not last fall for the first time. We also switch active ingredient tags from year to year. We seem to have better results with whatever the Python Magnums are than when we rotate the next round with the YTex XP 800 or whatever it is or the Bayer Corothon.

I had the same results as Ky hills. The Pythons work better than the others but none work very well. Maybe a month at best. I won't spend my time and money on them again.

I have better results just spraying them with Martin's Permethrin 10% or that FlyBan pour on stuff that TC recommends

We used fly tags for number of years.
Stopped when they became so expensive.
We've had good results with spraying and with using back rubs. I had a salt feeder built that forced the cattle to go under it to get their mineral. No problems with them using it.
I've also had good results using one of the pour-ons like Ultra Sabre. Might try so Cylence. It seems to be much cheaper per cow.
If you use fly tags, I've read it's best to use a pyrethoid for three to four years then switch to an organophosphate. Oklahoma State says 3 then two max for the organophosphate. Others say rotate yearly.
I like the longer rotation idea. Like wormers, it may be building a resistance to both kinds if you rotate annually.
These are just my thoughts. No data to back them up.

Yes. And no. We tried them years ago and they didn't seem to help, plus half of them broke off. It was an expensive experiment. Some producers swear by them but it's just a part of management; you still have to be diligent about control by spraying, rubs, powder, etc. Keep in mind, nothing will work very well if you have a neighboring pasture that has essentially zero fly control - they just come over to your place/your cows and it's double the effort. Additionally, while they protect the face (for a while), they don't offer full protection.

I've posted this pic before of my neighbors cow with "cancer" (that was his explanation when I texted him the pic). Notice the fly tags? And the flies?
View attachment 19108
Is that fly strike? We've lost a couple of chickens to fly strike. It was pretty gross.

Is that fly strike? We've lost a couple of chickens to fly strike. It was pretty gross.
Neighbor said it was cancer. Later that year, one of mine was diagnosed with lymphoma. I only use disposable needles/syringes when working cattle, no de-horning, vet's the only one that tattoos (retained heifers for BANGS), closed herd. Vet said vector transmission is not common, but the most likely cause.

Hi, do the chemical fly tags they sell work? One kind work better than another? I'm thinking about using some, far as I know they haven't been used on the property before where I'm thinking about using them. The cows on that property get the fly tubs, but are still covered in fly's.
I use t pour on but it never seemed to cover the sides of the cattle. so I had this spray dispenser which takes about a quart of pro-zap pour on and can be charged with up to 200 PSI compressor air. it can reach out fifteen feet and I can hit the sides of the cattle. I do this when I feed them some grain every couple weeks. best fly control I have ever used. we have biting flies, deer flies and horse flies. lots of them! I have had this spray dispenser for twenty years and don't see it on line to purchase. there might be other manufactures that have something similar. spray dispenser for cattle flies.jpg

When you put the tags on clean up the cows with a pour on to get rid of all the flies and then the tags kinda work for a month or so. Weather is the largest variable in my experience. Last year was wet and we did pour on and tags and fly control minerals and hand spray with pump up sprayer and they were the worst I've seen in a long time, the cows were constantly fighting them. This year we're in a drought and we didn't do tags or pour on, still are using fly minerals and I've only hand sprayed twice this year. Even the bulls have less than 50 flies each.

Latest posts