Fly Rub

Help Support CattleToday:

Been using permethrin in diesel...Caustic Burno posted a link for Saber somewhere on here.. pour on with 180 day coverage.. very affordable..im hoping it is effective. Tired of recharging the rub everytime it rains.

You need to alternate which insecticide you use.

Web-page-5-A.jpg

Mineral with
Alstosid IGR is what i use it stops the eggs from hatching in the manure, the flys have been bad , due to the fact that I was late staring the program this spring, it took some time to stop the fly cycle, but the flys are now under control and cows are happy. :cboy:

Has anyone used a storage tank above the rub to keep the rub charged? Would this work or would it oversaturate the rub?

cowboy43":31lls8g0 said:
Mineral with
Alstosid IGR is what i use it stops the eggs from hatching in the manure, the flys have been bad , due to the fact that I was late staring the program this spring, it took some time to stop the fly cycle, but the flys are now under control and cows are happy. :cboy:

You must not have neighbors with cattle. Flies just come over the fences here. Herds are on every side.

MudHog":1rwvmh3u said:
Has anyone used a storage tank above the rub to keep the rub charged? Would this work or would it oversaturate the rub?
There used to be rubs made that way--cattle oilers. you throttle the flow from the tank down to match what is rubbed off by the cattle. They're probably still made and sold.
I've never had one, but have seen them pictured here at CT. I think maybe dun posted some pics a couple years ago.

Like this:
P1030805.jpg

greybeard":fmjl5xyx said:
MudHog":fmjl5xyx said:
There used to be rubs made that way--cattle oilers. you throttle the flow from the tank down to match what is rubbed off by the cattle. They're probably still made and sold.
I've never had one, but have seen them pictured here at CT. I think maybe dun posted some pics a couple years ago.

Like this:
P1030805.jpg

Thanks! The whole throttling part is exactly what I was wanting to know. I had the thought of using a wick, but a small needle valve would easily throttle the flow down to the rub.

I ordered my 10ft rub and flypes today, so I'll give this a try pretty soon.

Most Tractor Supply stores sell the rubs and flyps. I've made replacement flyps out of old teeshirts--towels do not work well--they fray badly and birds will tear them to shreds for nesting material.
If you are not familar with the rubs, it takes about 2 gallons of mixture for the first "charge--put the flyps or strips on before applying the insecticide mixture. I do it with a garden sprayer with the nozzle cover removed. Takes a while to do it the first time---they're really thirsty. Do NOT allow them to completely dry out and start absorbing rain water--much more difficult to get them to take any petroleum based product once they absorb a lot of water. When fly season is over, take 'em down and store them out of the weather and sunlight till next season. Some people that use a lot of rubs just drop them in a vat or other big container with the insecticide mix in it and let the rub soak it up.

graybeard's advice is excellent. We've used the rubs for several years with good results. In our experience, they need to be strategically placed so the cattle have no option but to accept and become acquainted with them. Its also a bit of a trick to hang them so the cattle can't duct under them. A generous length of poly or nylon rope added to each end allows for adjustment tweaking.
A couple of additional suggestions regarding initially charging new rubs: Initial saturation is bit of a challenge. I tried the sprayer method and was frustrated by both the time it took to fully saturate the rub plus even sans the sprayer nozzle head it tended to splatter rather than penetrate. To solve the problem I use an empty lick tub dedicated to the purpose. New (dry) rubs are a stiff and unwieldy. I place one end in the tub and then carefully coil and stack it upon itself and then slowly pour the insecticide mix over it and let it sit for at least 24 hours, tipping the tub numerous times to ensure the rub is completely saturated. If you started with 2 gallons, its likely not all of it will be absorbed. I pour what's left back into my storage containers. Speaking of which, I repurpose several clear or semi opaque plastic ones capable of holding at least 3 gallons and preferably, have incremental gallon indicators, i.e. empty Cydectin pour on jugs, etc. Fill with the appropriate amount of diesel, funnel in the insecticide, swoosh it around and you're go to go.

Latest posts