Fly prevention...

Help Support CattleToday:

Fallfish

Reaction score
A quick question consistent with the warming weather....

Anybody got any good ole ideas to minimize those damn flies?

Thanks,

C-

Only the old standbys. Minimize breeding areas with sanitation, a larvacide in the minerals, ear tags or rubs/mops and sprays.

dun

Fallfish":38psxtcj said:
A quick question consistent with the warming weather....

Anybody got any good ole ideas to minimize those be nice flies?

Thanks,

C-

At least it's close to time when the lice will go away. Around here the old rule of thumb is no more lice after the first rain in May.

Craig-TX

How do Ear Tags control flies? UC Davis Vet told me about Fly Pellets that you put on fence rails and on the ground Bayer makes it...Fly Bayt. Anyone used this?

Cattle Girl":1y3ya7xa said:
How do Ear Tags control flies? UC Davis Vet told me about Fly Pellets that you put on fence rails and on the ground Bayer makes it...Fly Bayt. Anyone used this?

The tags are treated with pestiside to repel flys. Consult with your supply store. Thanks for the info on the Fly Bayt. I will look for it and give it a shot for my small operation.

A problem with fly bates is that other critters eat the stuff too. And it's pretty lethal on birds, cats and nearly so on dogs

dun

Cattle Girl":dkkzqleh said:

I used a premythim (Sorry for the spelling) a few weeks ago. mixed a couple ounces in a gallon of water and sprayed them down. Worked really well fut now they are coming back. Wonder how often I can use the stuff ??????

Use use permethrin (sp) in a diesel back wipe. Cows pass through it multiple times a day for water. It's probably about as safe a thing as you can use other then a Big Stinky fly trap. Check the packaging it should say something about frequency

dun

Tman":tj4zrjnn said:
I used a premythim (Sorry for the spelling) a few weeks ago. mixed a couple ounces in a gallon of water and sprayed them down. Worked really well fut now they are coming back. Wonder how often I can use the stuff ??????

I have also statrted using a "Fly bullet", just a smaller version of the ling rub socks. Hang it from a hole in the middle of my mineral feeder. This to me helps more on the ones around their faces. Have not had any drop off in meneral intake. :D

I have good luck here in NE Texas using the raybon block, I believe made by crystal lix (pardon my spelling). It is a mineral block as well as fly preventative (keeps them from reproducing). I get it in a 125-250 lb block, but they do have smaller ones. One plus is it is not afffected by the weather just throw it in your pasture, etc. Another thing I do is deworm with ivomec eprinex (pour-on) as well as use GardStar Plus eartags (they work great!).

With all the rain we've had, it looks like it's going to be a nasty year for flies here in central Texas!

We use one of the pour on (straight down the neck/back in a line) insecticides. Some of the good (expensive) ones work for a couple of weeks. Then inbetween pour ons, we get a gallon jug of what ever looks good at the feed store, mix it up in a back pack sprayer, run the cows in the pens, and spray them down. The spray on's don't last nearly as long, but they are better for getting the belly and legs.

The fly tags really do work well.. especially good for keeping flies off the eyes.. which is a good thing for pink eye.

That is curious???? So flies don't like Beefmasters? I have seen them eat just about anything, wonder why they don't care for the Beefmaster? Any thoughts ?

It's claimed it's because of the Brahman influence. Our neighbors Gerts are bothered by flys just as much as the Holstiens right next door to them, so I wonder. Maybe it's those horrible dairy cows that are the problem

dun

Tman":km7hpb9k said:
That is curious???? So flies don't like Beefmasters? I have seen them eat just about anything, wonder why they don't care for the Beefmaster? Any thoughts ?

Does the Holstein dairy farm smell like rotting manure and maggots? Do you have egrets in Missouri? The birds show up about the same time as the flies.

dun":1hgxpk4e said:
It's claimed it's because of the Brahman influence. Our neighbors Gerts are bothered by flys just as much as the Holstiens right next door to them, so I wonder. Maybe it's those horrible dairy cows that are the problem

dun

Tman":1hgxpk4e said:

I would imagine the reason flys don't bother beefmasters the way they do angus is because beefmasters don't taste as good as angus.

Just an old rainey morning and thought I might stir something up!

i dont no the tecnickle part, but brama influnced cattle resest insects and heat.my bm mammas dont get many flys on them at all but ihave a sim-ang bull that stays coverd with them and also stayes in the pound all the time. have to spray him an keep fly tags in his ears.~~~~~~~~~Tc