Fly prevention...

Help Support CattleToday:

FWIW, I think the fly and insect problem can be a little different with the various breeds and/or crosses. It is often reported that Brahmans and crosses with heavy Brahman influence are able to "flick" their skin and also secrete a substance that discourages insects in general. In my own experience down near the Texas coast the flies still do bother my Beefmaster and tigerstripe cows, some individuals more than others; but I've never seen them bad enough for a consistent time period to make me go out and get the fly tags, use Rabon blocks, etc. My cows just have to deal with them, and I realize that probably costs me a few pounds on cows and calves. But during the previous year and a half when I ran a straight Angus bull in with those girls the flies, worms and assorted insects just absolutely ate him up. So far my new Brangus bull doesn't seem too bothered, but it early in the season.

But I know what you mean BullLady --- I had a very wet late winter, got 3.1 inches last Saturday and it is raining cats & dogs now as I write this. The weather guessers are predicting that we'll get 2 to 3 inches today. I imagine the fine folks over in La. will get it on Sunday

Flies attempt to feed on beefmasters just the same as any other breed of cattle, they just get flicked off immediately. Brahman cattle have the ability the flick or twitch their skin and this trait is usually transfered to their offspring, and other brahman-influenced crosses. Plus brahman-influenced animals are thicker skinned, so flies and mosquitoes have a tougher time penetrating. And they excrete some kind of chemical or something that acts as a repellent.

We usually plan a deworming (pour-on) around fly time and this keeps them off for several weeks. Plus we have a lot of pitcher plants, cattle egrets, bluebirds, martins, swifts, spiders and other natural fly and skeeter predators.

Never had much luck with fly tags. Rubs work ok for a while.

i imagine the 20+ year drought has helped with the fly population here as well. lol.

Latest posts