Fly predators

Help Support CattleToday:

Cucumber35

Reaction score
https://www.spalding-labs.com/

Anybody heard of or tried this? My girlfriend was talking to the owner of the big fancy horse barn she takes one of the girls she nannies for to for riding lessons. She said she noticed they had very few flies. The lady told her that's what they use, costs them around $600 a year but she said it makes a big difference. Of course this is the 'organic' option, which the rich people around there buy anything if it says that. :roll:
I told her I doubt they would make much difference or survive in the manure very long since we are deworming regularly, and I'm not about to stop doing that...

The only time they seem to work is in centralized areas. A horse barn, maybe a milk parlor or a confinement feeding area.

A few of the dairies I've worked on in the past used them as their only fly control. They work well in that setting.
Your dewormer won't hurt them but you can't do any kind of fly spraying around barns and such where they are without setting them back.
The key is to start as soon as your first flies show up so that their population follows the fly buildup. If you turn out to many at once then you kill all of the flies and the predators die for lack of a host and then the flies come back with a vengeance.

dun":3dua0los said:
The only time they seem to work is in centralized areas. A horse barn, maybe a milk parlor or a confinement feeding area.
Use to use them on the dairy. No doubt they were effective but as many flies as most dairies have it was hard to say they even made a dent in the fly population. Ordered them from Kunafin.

dun":3bww8ym9 said:
I have a friend that runs a dairy and they use something similar. This will only work in a centralized area as Dun said. Not effective at all for grazing cattle.

Latest posts