Fly predators - do they work?

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
Anybody on here ever used the fly predators, and did they work?

Our cows will be gone soon, 8 weeks or so at a friend's farm for breeding. There won't be a large animal on the place during that time. So I was thinking about putting out the fly predators then. Think it would work?

MO_cows":2dh4frg9 said:
Anybody on here ever used the fly predators, and did they work?

Our cows will be gone soon, 8 weeks or so at a friend's farm for breeding. There won't be a large animal on the place during that time. So I was thinking about putting out the fly predators then. Think it would work?
What is it? Guess I never heard of it. gs

www.spalding-labs.com

They advertise them on RFD-TV and in magazines. Little wasp-like creatures that only feed on fly larvae, supposed to be harmless to humans and everything else. They send you packages of them to release like once a month during fly season.

MO_cows":12koodv8 said:
http://www.spalding-labs.com

They advertise them on RFD-TV and in magazines. Little wasp-like creatures that only feed on fly larvae, supposed to be harmless to humans and everything else. They send you packages of them to release like once a month during fly season.

Interesting.

Rabon is what's in the block we bought but the ungrateful wenches aren't eating it.

I just might give the predators a try. They would cost more than the insecticide for the rub, but if they actually decrease the population noticeably they would be worth it.

Natural predators do work, because years ago musk thistles simply overwhelmed our part of the country and they imported bugs to eat the flowers and it really worked. The thistles really aren't much of a problem now. You said you were moving the cows, is that a requirment to use them or does that just work best? gs

" They"'r turning out something that eats the head off fireants here--I say let more out!! I hate fireants!!

Fly predator wasp work....but like all fly control methods, they won't ever get all the flies. It's an ongoing thing as you have to keep buying them and putting them out. They worked pretty good at the dairy.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like they work well enough that you can notice a reduction in flies, which is about the best you can hope for.

I didn't know fire ants HAD any natural enemies, Peg. Hope the "control critter" works, those things must be awful to deal with.

MO_cows":2pijmq5b said:
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like they work well enough that you can notice a reduction in flies, which is about the best you can hope for.

I didn't know fire ants HAD any natural enemies, Peg. Hope the "control critter" works, those things must be awful to deal with.

Mo...my wife buys nematoads....now these things can't be seen with the naked eye so you buy them in a sort of compost, add water, wait a while and pour them on fire ant hills. They are "suppose" to destroy the fireants. Since you can't seem them you just have to assume they are devouring fireants....And since I don't count the ants I'm sure they are decreasing in number even as we speak. On my side of the yard I use "Orthene". :lol2: