Fly larvae control with justifly?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Realizing it's not fly season in northeast ms I post anyway. Because I think about these things in the wrong season.... What is the input/ general consensus of larva control products added to mineral or feeds for a cow/calf herd? Been using fly tags and pour on and curious about some opinions on the like....

Realizing it's not fly season in northeast ms I post anyway. Because I think about these things in the wrong season.... What is the input/ general consensus of larva control products added to mineral or feeds for a cow/calf herd? Been using fly tags and pour on and curious about some opinions on the like....
They work. I start adding it to our mineral in March before fly season ramps up.

I like the rubs also. When I added rubs to the salt licks a lot less flies on the cattle's head.

We use Purina Wind and Rain with Altosid. For fly control. Face flap in the mineral feeder.
I gave up on fly tags.
Agree on the tags as on the rubs I pour on diesel with Permethrin added. Their head glistens, but less flies. I seen too many times a calf have an ear tag and pinkeye in the same eye.

Last edited:
Been kicking the rub idea around and just haven't got serious with it. But I think I'm done with fly tags. Always have seemed to help and now this last year we tagged them and it seemed like the flies where almost worse after a week or so. Too many years using the same bayer corathon? I dunno.. already use purina wind and rain so may look into that. Thanks fer the inputđź‘Ť

Agree on the tags as on the rubs I pour on diesel with Permethrin added. Their head glistens, but less flies. I seen too many times a calf have an ear tag and pinkeye in the same eye.
Had this also when we ran a group of stockers last year. Had a bad outbreak of pink eye and all were fly tagged. Possibly could have been transferred just from the close quarters too.. enough flys and close quarters they passed it around anyway..

jltrent (formerly jed clampet) do you have a photo of the rubs added to the salt licks?

We've been using fly tags (tag in both ears in cattle and calves), minerals with IGR, and pour on when needed. I think the fly tag rotation is important as it seems to be working for us.
fly tag rotation.png

1st year,,Sell cow(s) with most flies
2nd year,, Sell cow(s) with most flies
3rd year, Sell cow(s) with most flies and give some thought to rotational grazing.
Of course the chemical company is always working or a more deadlier product for you to use.

1st year,,Sell cow(s) with most flies
2nd year,, Sell cow(s) with most flies
3rd year, Sell cow(s) with most flies and give some thought to rotational grazing.
Of course the chemical company is always working or a more deadlier product for you to use.
Here the flies really work on the ones that carry longer hair coat..

alacowman> What is the source of your data? I am always open to new information . LVR

alacowman> What is the source of your data? I am always open to new information . LVR
Not exactly on point and I am not saying one way or the other but here is one article:
Steelman then washed the animals with hexane and found the compounds being secreted by the two sebaceous glands and one sweat gland associated with each individual hair had an effect on fly attraction or repellency. The more hairs the animal had, the more glands in the skin to secrete these compounds, he learned.

This makes me think that genetics can play a role much the same way that Continental breeds are not as susceptible to pinkeye due to the pigment in the eye.

its more a personal observation over the years, than actual studies and data..really been more of a problem since ive gradually bred more toward a little less brahman influence in my herd.. But that was to be expected....I've have some that look more brahma than the others, but carry more hair.. that the flies seem too love to congregate on more..

Last edited:
i have an old half Simangus cow the flies absolutely love..just another observation that the black hide with a little more hair coat The surface blood used to cool the body is like a all you can eat buffet for them..

alacowman> Thankyou! I think you can appreciate that like begets like. Big cows big offspring, Bad disposition, ditto- Horn begets horn.
In as much as flies on a cow are a physical condition would it be too much to presume a possibility of inheritance as to the
relationship of the amount of flies attracted by a particular bloodline? This can best be determined by stopping all external
fly control and observing which family lines are prone to the least (or most) flies. On average you may not notice much difference
but between the cattle with the least and the most flies. you should see evidence of a family connection.
I am not connected to Kit Pharo in any way but would point out he has done a yeomans job of researching this and his findings
are well worth reviewing, Best wishes LVR

Latest posts