Fly Control

Help Support CattleToday:

32Paws

Reaction score
I am constantly spraying my cattle for flies and it does not seem to work as good. I am trying so hard to prevent pink eye. Does anyone have any really good recommendation for fly control?

I have had good luck with the dust bags. I also use the fly rubber with diesel and permethrin if the flies are exceptionally bad. The bag with one bullet of powder in it usually lasts about 6 to 8 months.

I also use the fly rubber with diesel and permethrin if the flies are exceptionally bad
This is what I use too. Doesn't eliminate all of the flies, but reduces them to a tolerable level.

Get XP 820 fly tags, they are incredible. I used to spend several hours each week spraying by hand, putting up rubs, trying every chemical out there, then I tried these tags and the flies just disappeared! I just love them, the cows are totally relaxed and happy. And they don't affect the dung beetles as far as I can tell. And I still have parasitic wasps by the thousands even though I don't know what they are eating since there are so few flies. I put two tags on the back of the ears for cows, one for the older calves. Even if you miss a few, if the majority of your cows have them their tags will take care of the flies on the missed ones. I just can't believe how well they work. Used them last summer and this summer, they still work great, will rotate to whatever the company recommends next year, Warrior I think they said. Wish I had found these tags when they first came out a few years ago. Our flies are resistant to the two main types, this is something different. These tags absolutely changed my life. Oh also they require a Y Tex tagger. Also, they appear dry and have no odor. Also for some reason I had just one get infected and have to be cut out, usually I have five or six with other tags. So that's a plus too.

Ive preached this before and I'm sure I will again. There is NO silver bullet. It makes a multiple attack strategy to really get and keep a handle on flys.
We use altosid in the mineral, roatate pastures and use fly wipes/mops (with permethrin and diesel) at the entrance to the water points. Ear tags can also be effective but only in conjunction with other methods. The main problem I've seen with eartags is people leave them on all year and the flys adapt to the inscticide and they lose their effectiveness over time.

We stopped using fly tags on the majority of the herd because it just doesn't make sense, timing wise. We work calves and cows in April. The flies don't really get bad until June through September. By the time you really need them, they only have a month or two of chemical left. Fly control in the mineral didn't justify the cost for the amount of control it provided.

Fly tags have never worked very well with me. I have had some success with rubs. What has worked best for me is rotating and dragging pastures.

LauraleesFarm":30ggj6q5 said:
We use loose mineral that is medicated with Altasoid (sp) for fly control. It does a GREAT job.
Altosid, IGR. We've been really happy with adding it to our loose minerals too. Noticeable reduction in flies.

Latest posts