fly control

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I will ask this then duck :)
What do you think is best/easist for fly control
I only run 6 head (small place)
I have no corral or head gate/squeeze chute, but I can walk around and scratch my cows (ok so they are spoiled).
I have been hand spraying at feed time (horse sprayer), and have used one type of pour on, but it seems to wash off in the first rain after treatment.

A back rub might work well for you. Place it where the cows have to go under it to get to feed and/or water.

We use the mop type that has a bag in the top that holds the fluid. We use permethrin /diesel mix. A larvacie in the minerals will also help. Chickens or guienies(sp) will also help by breaking up the pats and eating the eggs/larva. We have a huge population of wild turkeys that take care of that task in the pastures.

dun

Hawk":dccxmxj8 said:
A back rub might work well for you. Place it where the cows have to go under it to get to feed and/or water.

I got the chickens working, so a rub might be the answer.
They have to walk between the barn and a fence to get to the feed trough (which they vist everyday without fail of course) so that would be an ideal spot.
Thanks as it is off to MFA with me :)

Dun, whats the mixture you use for the rubs/bullets? I saw the 10 ft rubs on the TSC website, it didnt give any information as far as treating it. Do the long rubs have to be dipped in diesel/pyrethrin also, or are they coated with something already?

Are the mop type you are talking about sometimes referred to as "bullets"?
The bullets they have are about 4 inches around and 18 inches long.

They also have a "22 pc. face flap"....it looks like those are long flat pcs which hang straight down.

Do I just fill a bucket up with diesel/pyrethrin and dunk these things in there, and let them drip back into the bucket for awhile, then hang across a couple of t-posts in front of the watering trough? How long do these last before they dry out and have to be redunked?

Bullets are just short versions of the big oilers, they're made to hang from one end. I have no idea how much stuff it takes to soak them, I've put 5 gallons on the big ones and it didn't sem to be enough.
The picture is the type of oiler mop we use. I like them because the strings hang down and get the solution down the sides and not just the back and face.

oiler.jpg

We got them from Nasco about 5 years ago and they still work great. One is starting to get a little loose where the mop is sewed to the bag, but that's the only problem. If it wasn't raining I'ld go take a picture of how we have them hung. Maybe later

dun

eric":1fmype5o said:
Dun, whats the mixture you use for the rubs/bullets? I saw the 10 ft rubs on the TSC website, it didnt give any information as far as treating it. Do the long rubs have to be dipped in diesel/pyrethrin also, or are they coated with something already?

Are the mop type you are talking about sometimes referred to as "bullets"?
The bullets they have are about 4 inches around and 18 inches long.

They also have a "22 pc. face flap"....it looks like those are long flat pcs which hang straight down.

Do I just fill a bucket up with diesel/pyrethrin and dunk these things in there, and let them drip back into the bucket for awhile, then hang across a couple of t-posts in front of the watering trough? How long do these last before they dry out and have to be redunked?

Hey Dun,

This item looks better than that roll with bullets we have used and abandoned. Never did feel they worked. Look good, but? I looked at Nasco's catalogue and see the one you listed. How do you fill that thing? Is it easy or a hassel. They have two other units which look a bit more sophisticated, and probably not any better? But one has a screw cap for filling - that looks easy. Have you used either of them? I assume all these can tolerate diesel plus insectacide?

Thanks for you input.

Bill
Georgia

The picture may not show it, but at one end of the place that you stick the mounting bar through is a hole that you fill it through. I just use a long fleciable funnel, stick the end in the hole till it's inside the bag portion, then I wire/tie/secure the funnel portion to the upright of whatever it's hangin from. That holds the funnel in place and I just dump the misture in from a 5 gal can. I've been messing with these things for over 20 years and have found that works the best for me. If you have questions about the suitability of the mixture, give Nasco a call or e-mail them and esk. They'll have the straight poop on what works.

dun

MrBilly":5c8uu2oj said:
Hey Dun,

This item looks better than that roll with bullets we have used and abandoned. Never did feel they worked. Look good, but? I looked at Nasco's catalogue and see the one you listed. How do you fill that thing? Is it easy or a hassel. They have two other units which look a bit more sophisticated, and probably not any better? But one has a screw cap for filling - that looks easy. Have you used either of them? I assume all these can tolerate diesel plus insectacide?

Thanks for you input.

Bill
Georgia

Latest posts