Fly Control

Help Support CattleToday:

badroute

Reaction score
I have heard some talk of the use of ground sea shells added to mineral for a fly control method. I have been using Altosid the past few years and am looking for something different. If anyone has any info of any sort on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.

I think you are referring to diatomaceous earth. It costs about $22 for 50 lbs from the feed store and works great for a lot of things. Mostly I use it for ants in the feed room. Sprinkle it on the floor and you have no ants. If it ever gets wet, you need to apply it again.

It will help with the flies but I estimate a 25% reduction. Fly tags will probably get another 25% or so off of the cows.

Regular worming and monthly treatments with pymethrin work best for me.

backhoeboogie":1krcgkjg said:
I think you are referring to diatomaceous earth. It costs about $22 for 50 lbs from the feed store and works great for a lot of things. Mostly I use it for ants in the feed room. Sprinkle it on the floor and you have no ants. If it ever gets wet, you need to apply it again.

It will help with the flies but I estimate a 25% reduction. Fly tags will probably get another 25% or so off of the cows.

Regular worming and monthly treatments with pymethrin work best for me.
Yes this is correct--- DE, but the best way to rid the flies is to drag those areas where cattle frequent--- like your feeding/watering areas. That will reduce the fly issues unless you are in Lewistown-- Then January should be a pretty flyless month[

T/b]

thanks for the info. I am looking for alternatives other than buying the terribly expensive fly mineral. I usually order my mineral for the summer and fall around the middle of March and was wanting to see if there was something different I could do. I am planning on putting out dustbags and wanted to put something in my mineral that was different than Altosid and IGR as I believe horn flys around here are starting to build a resistance. Spraying with permectrin is not an option due to too many cows and no corrals around. I am toying with the possiblity of putting fly tags in the calves at branding time. But keep it coming I would still like some more info on the diatomaceous earth or another related product. Thanks.

badroute":dryzx413 said:
thanks for the info. I am looking for alternatives other than buying the terribly expensive fly mineral. I usually order my mineral for the summer and fall around the middle of March and was wanting to see if there was something different I could do. I am planning on putting out dustbags and wanted to put something in my mineral that was different than Altosid and IGR as I believe horn flys around here are starting to build a resistance. Spraying with permectrin is not an option due to too many cows and no corrals around. I am toying with the possiblity of putting fly tags in the calves at branding time. But keep it coming I would still like some more info on the diatomaceous earth or another related product. Thanks.

As far as fly control goes, I think it is hard to beat the rubs soaked with diesel and pymethrin (sp?) strung across the entrance to a water source or other place the herd has to go thru daily. jmho & experience.

Here is the rub I use: http://www.phwhite.com Just pour diesel/pyrethrin mix on it when needed. I strongly recommend using the flyps that hang down to get face flies especially on white eye Herefords. It seems to eliminate pinkeye.

SRBeef":3e5y01dr said:
badroute":3e5y01dr said:

As far as fly control goes, I think it is hard to beat the rubs soaked with diesel and pymethrin (sp?) strung across the entrance to a water source or other place the herd has to go thru daily. jmho & experience.

Here is the rub I use: http://www.phwhite.com Just pour diesel/pyrethrin mix on it when needed. I strongly recommend using the flyps that hang down to get face flies especially on white eye Herefords. It seems to eliminate pinkeye.
I use the rubs and face flyps and I also use the bullets on my mineral feeders and had pretty good results

Latest posts