Fly control

Help Support CattleToday:

rattler

Reaction score
Just wondering what method's of fly control work's for other folk's .I have been useing fly tag's for quite a wile thinking of going with the mineral's with the fly prouduct in it this year i guss im looking for suggestion's any help would appericated.

rattler

Minerals with IGR or Rabon and fly mops loaded with deisel and Permictrin at the entrance to all water points. I think rotational grazing may help a little also.

dun

When your pastures are surrounded by other pastures that are full of cattle, nothing works. Especially when the cows in adjoining pastures are never treated.

In addition to mineral treatment and tags, I was spraying the cows practically every other week last year when the flies were extremely bad.

boogie it sure look's like their gonna be bad here this year.Are already out in force here.

rattler

You are right about the flies being out in force already. We use the Raban blocks and put our rub out last weekend. We also supplement with spray to make sure the sides and legs get treated.

We have not used the face flaps for the rub, but are looking to add those this year.

backhoeboogie said:
When your pastures are surrounded by other pastures that are full of cattle, nothing works. Especially when the cows in adjoining pastures are never treated.

Hey BHB according to the local Coop newsletter in with this months bill they make the statement that 98% of a hornfly's life is on the same cow or calf. I've always thought what you said was true and it probably is for most fly types, but evidently the hornfly is different. That is if you can believe whoever did the research.

Cuz

Cuz, you may be right. Just seems to me that those cows across the fence in neighboring pastures totally covered in flies makes battling the situation that much harder.

Latest posts