Fly Control

Help Support CattleToday:

I bought several gallons of ready to use Fly Spray from TSC. Put in a sprayer and walked the cattle through the chute. Took a few hours to do them all but really seemed to help. Can't recall the name but it's around $12/gallon and ready to use, probably work well for you.

Minerals with IGR and cattle wipes that htey have to pass through to get to water.
Hate to jinx things, but this is the best fly season we've ever had. Haven't changed anything, just seems to be more effective this year.

dun

The cows get fly tags on the ear, just because. There are rubs between pastures. About every three weeks I spray their bellies in a chute because the rubs don't get their stomachs. I did have treated minerals but when I went to replentish, the feed store was out.

The mineral treatments don't do much good for me since we have such high mineral content in the soil here. Only a select few cows touch the minerals.

There are farms around me (all sides) who do not treat for flies, so it is a bad situation. This spring was one of the worst times I have ever seen here.

dun, the same here.. but don't know why either. We did feed the fly control licks early in the spring, and I spray with a water soluable spray every three days.

I think the last 3 weeks it's just been too dry. The ground sucks the the moisture out too fast for the flys to develope?

I use Fly preditors they work great they eat the fly larva in the manure. You can get them thru spalding Labs not that expensive either been useing them for about 3 years now and they do make the difference.

dj":3r1seirg said:
I think the last 3 weeks it's just been too dry. The ground sucks the the moisture out too fast for the flys to develope?

You could very well be right, dj. I don't have nearly the flies this year that I did last year (Please Lord, that was not a challenge!) and nothing has changed at my place, except we have had no rain since early June.

I use rubs and spray. Yesterday was hot and real humid.I noticed flies were bad. I poured out a bucket of grain and sprayed the cows. My cattle are very tame and by the time I was done, I won the battle over the flies. 8) :cboy:

mnmt

MS watch what you say. I made a statement out loud a couple years ago about all the dang rain and something about I didn't care if it ever rained again. Well someone was listening and has a real good memory. I'll trade you some flies for some rain.HA

I use Cylance. Once a month run everyone threw the chute, poar the correct dose down topline and a dribble on the top of there head. Works well. Use just a bit more on the big cows.
Good luck.
Double R

Latest posts