Fly control

Help Support CattleToday:

cowfarmer

Reaction score
Just wondering how effective you all thought
the back rubbers and face flaps were in controlling
flies. I have always tried using sprays and powders
but they don't seem to work very well or long.
I just put up some back rubbers and am wondering if they should
be enough or if I should also keep spraying them also.

cowfarmer":26mos82t said:
Just wondering how effective you all thought
the back rubbers and face flaps were in controlling
flies. I have always tried using sprays and powders
but they don't seem to work very well or long.
I just put up some back rubbers and am wondering if they should
be enough or if I should also keep spraying them also.

Have had pretty good luck with Rabon blocks.

Backrubs and face flyps work well if you put them where the cattle are forced to use them, and keep them recharged on a regular basis. You should also use a different pesticide each year.

Best of any method is to start early before it is a bad fly problem. If you have bad problems they are hard to get under control.

If you're going to use Rabon, you need to do it now. You wont see the effects of it's use if you wait til fly season is in full swing. It's headed that way here. Rubs work great if you can strategically locate them, and fly "bullets" work well too hung from a mineral feeder etc.

Crowderfarms":28309eoh said:
If you're going to use Rabon, you need to do it now. You wont see the effects of it's use if you wait til fly season is in full swing. It's headed that way here. Rubs work great if you can strategically locate them, and fly "bullets" work well too hung from a mineral feeder etc.
==================

Crowder,

What mixture of other ingredients do you use with the Rabon.....to pour on your rubs?

Or, are you doing the mineral blocks approach thus...the early feeding for buildup effect?

I've heard of some unusual concoctions mentioned.

Diesel fuel mixed with a liquid insecticide that is safe for cattle. Soak the rub thoroughly and put it in a place where the cows have to walk under it. Many of our cows spend a lot of time scratching their backs and sides with the rub.

Around the home place I put fly parasites out each month. They do work well. They're a little expensive but then so is diesel right now. I use the rubs when the cows are out on pasture for the summer away from the house. I'm very allergic to many insecticides and herbicides, so can't be around them. My husband has to set up the rubs.

Linda said:
"Diesel fuel mixed with a liquid insecticide that is safe for cattle. Soak the rub thoroughly and put it in a place where the cows have to walk under it"
===========
Linda,

Same here. We are always looking for different approaches.

Better watch it with the Diesel on Brahman Cattle,and Brahman X.'s as their pours are different than European Breeds. Diesel can enter their bloodstream. We use Elector, a new product that is available in a pour-on or spray concentrate. Use it on rubs too. Permethrin 10% is fair, but not long lasting...We also use Rabon, mixed with minerals, free choice.Hope this helps. ;-)

Crowderfarms":379j3gxt said:
Better watch it with the Diesel on Brahman Cattle,and Brahman X.'s as their pours are different than European Breeds. Diesel can enter their bloodstream. We use Elector, a new product that is available in a pour-on or spray concentrate. Use it on rubs too. Permethrin 10% is fair, but not long lasting...We also use Rabon, mixed with minerals, free choice.Hope this helps. ;-)

How often do you have to spray/pour on to maintain effectiveness? thanks!

I have been using the Right Now Mineral Program with IGR for over a year now. I am very pleased with it. I t is a little expensive, but it is well worth the money. It also balances your mineral intake. You can get some information on it by going to rightnowmineral.com.

msscamp":nywi6phu said:
Crowderfarms":nywi6phu said:

I find that I have to retreat my rub at least once per month, twice or three times is probably better. I have also used sprays, but you have to use them more often than the label recommends in my experience. I think you would have to spray nearly every day to be effective.

The first time I ever put up the rub, I had an old cow that backed up to it and scratched her rear on it in a most hilarious manner.

greenwillowherefords":19k87slm said:
msscamp":19k87slm said:
Crowderfarms":19k87slm said:

I find that I have to retreat my rub at least once per month, twice or three times is probably better. I have also used sprays, but you have to use them more often than the label recommends in my experience. I think you would have to spray nearly every day to be effective.

The first time I ever put up the rub, I had an old cow that backed up to it and scratched her rear on it in a most hilarious manner.

Thank you. That would not be effective for our operation, as our cows are on distant pasture for the summer and no way to place the rub in a position where they had to go through it. Also, no way to chute for spray/pour on on a daily basis.

msscamp":1317us2p said:
Crowderfarms":1317us2p said:

I might spray them about every 3 weeks. Most cattle hate the sprayer, best to leave it up to the Rabon and Rubs. It's a whole lot less stress on em'.

stelg":2p3fqd0y said:
I have been using the Right Now Mineral Program with IGR for over a year now. I am very pleased with it. I t is a little expensive, but it is well worth the money. It also balances your mineral intake. You can get some information on it by going to rightnowmineral.com.
Why?? Why do you use an igr all winter??? And how do you know it is worth the money??? You say it is expensive. You like helping Cargill pay for there advertising??

Do you care about making money??? Do you care about cost of upkeep for a cow for a year?? That is something you can change to help you with profit...cant ever know what calves will bring...you CAN change what you spend. Heres a simple trick for figuring savings....A cow needs roughly 1 sack of minerals a year...that makes it easy to see the per head saving in cow upkeep by finding a mineral that works good but that is cheaper..sometimes the same mineral formulation in a different brand can be $6+ dollars a sack cheaper. Look at the saving per sack of mineral and you see an identical savings in yearly cow upkeep on a per head basis

tapeworm":1xo5gaty said:
stelg":1xo5gaty said:
Why?? Why do you use an igr all winter??? And how do you know it is worth the money??? You say it is expensive. You like helping Cargill pay for there advertising??

Do you care about making money??? Do you care about cost of upkeep for a cow for a year?? That is something you can change to help you with profit...cant ever know what calves will bring...you CAN change what you spend. Heres a simple trick for figuring savings....A cow needs roughly 1 sack of minerals a year...that makes it easy to see the per head saving in cow upkeep by finding a mineral that works good but that is cheaper..sometimes the same mineral formulation in a different brand can be $6+ dollars a sack cheaper. Look at the saving per sack of mineral and you see an identical savings in yearly cow upkeep on a per head basis

That's why I recommend Sweetlix Minerals...Never seen them give away new Ford super Duty trucks.Yep. They advertise, but not to a gross extreme. Cargill is a HUGE company, does'nt mean others can't match or exceed their quality or exceed it. I would not waste my $ on them. Too many alternatives out there.

msscamp":16gxovja said:
greenwillowherefords":16gxovja said:
msscamp":16gxovja said:
Crowderfarms":16gxovja said:

Thank you. That would not be effective for our operation, as our cows are on distant pasture for the summer and no way to place the rub in a position where they had to go through it. Also, no way to chute for spray/pour on on a daily basis.
Don't they have a water source they have to drink from? Put it where they have to go under it to get water.

Latest posts