fly control

Help Support CattleToday:

We also have a small herd- 10 & growing, but likewise tend to have lots of flies in the summer months. We do use tags & rotate brands each year, but they need to be replaced a couple times during the season & are not supposed to be used on young calves. I've hearing about the licks by Sweetlix w/ the Rabon- if anyone has had luck with these- please let us know. They may not be economical for a large operation- but for us smaller folks maybe it would work???

dun, heres some info on dung beeltles you could check out, insects in cattle dung. that's why we are farmers cause we all go our separate ways & different things work on different farms. but in time all chemicals will lose their effectiveness & we will have to rely on biological control & no one seems to know how all our chemicals affect our kids & what diseases they cause

We put out our first Rabon block for the season, last week, and have had good fly control with them in the past.

Wish we had some dung beetles.

Could someone mail us a few hundred ?

There' actually an outfit in Kentucky that sells dung beatles,or tumblebugs, to replace your lack thereof them. One word of warning, I've always been told is a Diesel mix on a backrubber can be dangerous to use on cattle with (Indian) blood , meaning Brahman , Brahman X's as they ingest it thru their skin pores. where the Europeans don't.

http://www.agric.nsw.gov.au/reader/1077 Link from Austrailia about the Dungs...

My friend from South Africa , but who lives here now keeps game chickens in his stables so that they can eat the flies and larvae. He said that is the way that they did it in South Africa. Game chickens are going to be cheap here soon because our yankee and yuppie inundated state is planning on outlawin' the traditional raising of game chickens.

what is the effect of flies living on a cow without larvisides or insect controll :?:

Crowderfarms":1yt7zofh said:
There' actually an outfit in Kentucky that sells dung beatles,or tumblebugs, to replace your lack thereof them. One word of warning, I've always been told is a Diesel mix on a backrubber can be dangerous to use on cattle with (Indian) blood , meaning Brahman , Brahman X's as they ingest it thru their skin pores. where the Europeans don't.

http://www.agric.nsw.gov.au/reader/1077 Link from Austrailia about the Dungs...
Do you have a link for the outfit in Kentucky that sells dung beetles.
I have dung beetles on my place, but they seem to be a variety from South Africa? Would like to find some natives.

I tried to search for the link, but to no avail. I will say around these parts, Dung Beatles are scarce as Hen's teeth. Been a while since I seen one. I wonder if the Wild Turkeys are'nt getting all of them, when they scratch Cow Pies.

If you can use scatter-bait quickbait helps.In a severe case such as yours I would look into the sterile wasp idea.

Larry

we have had a bad year with flies. even our minerals with rabon didn't help with them. couldn't be the standing water, with the drought, we haven't had any water!

brenda":1fnvlbxb said:
we have had a bad year with flies. even our minerals with rabon didn't help with them. couldn't be the standing water, with the drought, we haven't had any water!

The feed through insecticides/IGRs are only one part of fly control. By themselves they don;t really do much good.

I think safeguard is another wormer that won't kill dung beetles. You can also use Ivomec in the winter after the dung beetles have gone dormant.

Latest posts