fly control minerals. Do they work??

Help Support CattleToday:

George Monk

Reaction score
So what is the opinion of the learned? do you use fly control minerals - ctc/afc minerals and do you feel they work?
We have used them for 3 seasonons religiously and if they are working I would hate to see what my cows would look like with out them 'cause unless we use pour-ons/backrubbers we still have significant fly problems.
I spoke with a much better cattle farmer than me and he used to use them but has stopped. Only uses mineral without the afc.
What is your experience?

George I've been using the fly control minerals for about 3 years and yes they do work. Not 100% effective but effective enough to be well worth the small amount more they cost. I have no problem recommending them. Never use anything with CTC in it. If a cow needs antibiotics I'd rather give it in an injection and a give her a good "buckshot" load of it.

George Monk":3n5h1pw6 said:
So what is the opinion of the learned? do you use fly control minerals - ctc/afc minerals and do you feel they work?
We have used them for 3 seasonons religiously and if they are working I would hate to see what my cows would look like with out them 'cause unless we use pour-ons/backrubbers we still have significant fly problems.
I spoke with a much better cattle farmer than me and he used to use them but has stopped. Only uses mineral without the afc.
What is your experience?

I sometimes question how they work, but it is pretty obvious to see how well they do work. I have used them for 2 years now exclusively. Father-in-law never has, and I run a few cows with his. There is a big difference in the fly control. I think it was dun that said if you don't think they are working, stop using them and then see how well they work.

It depends on how many of your neighbors use them. A single untreated herd can produce enough flies for all the neighbors cows.

jkwilson":3d1mc1z3 said:
It depends on how many of your neighbors use them. A single untreated herd can produce enough flies for all the neighbors cows.

True...but while visiting your herd if they lay their eggs on your place they're history as well.

While the boarders were here, they didn;t get the mineral with IGR. Thy were about 1/4 mile from the rest of the cows. Our cows with IGR had a few flys but nothing serious. The boarders had lots of flys and they were poured with ultraboss every 2 weeks. A couple of weeks before they went home I turned the bull and a steer in with them and put out the IGR inerla for all of them. By the time the left there were very few flys on them.
Probably just a coincidence

dun":2l5p9bl8 said:
While the boarders were here, they didn;t get the mineral with IGR. Thy were about 1/4 mile from the rest of the cows. Our cows with IGR had a few flys but nothing serious. The boarders had lots of flys and they were poured with ultraboss every 2 weeks. A couple of weeks before they went home I turned the bull and a steer in with them and put out the IGR inerla for all of them. By the time the left there were very few flys on them.
Probably just a coincidence

Nope...It'll happen everytime IF they eat the mineral. :nod:

ive been using wind an rain minerals the last 2yrs an i think they do cut the number of flies on cattle.before that i used the igr mineral blocks for a year or so.but this is weird year.the cows dont seem tobe eating to much minerals.ive only gone through 2 sacks of minerals with IGR in them.

Do you use them all year round? I have done it both ways. And I think doing it year round is better, but somebody called me a nut for doing that. RE: Once it freezes flies are gone til next spring.

Michele

i dont reckon my feed store carries minerals with igr in them year round.i just use them from march till sept or oct.

bigbull338":1uoiemlx said:
i dont reckon my feed store carries minerals with igr in them year round.i just use them from march till sept or oct.

Me too. We also can;t get High Mag minerals with IGR. Our normal roation is plain minerals with CTC from Oct-Feb, high mag with CTC march - April, then the CTC and IGR stuff till Oct and start over.

I buy the IGR from the feedstore and mix it with whatever mineral I'm using. I only use it during fly season. It kills the fly larva in the poop after the flies lay their eggs. No flies, no eggs, no need for IGR.

angus9259":1ry66jhj said:
I buy the IGR from the feedstore and mix it with whatever mineral I'm using. I only use it during fly season. It kills the fly larva in the poop after the flies lay their eggs. No flies, no eggs, no need for IGR.

Does it kill the fly larvae or does it inhibit wing development ?

We had fly problems this year. We switched to Wind and Rain with IGR and noticed a significant difference. Then we bought chickens and no fly problems at all. Tom :cboy:

Latest posts