Fly control mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Have been using insecticide ear tags for several years, and it seems to work ok, at least for a few months. The only issues are having to run them through the chute later another time after we do our spring working. Then they seem to loose their effectiveness by late summer early fall, then have to cut the tags out. I am wondering if others use the mineral, and if it is effective. I also was told years ago, that it could affect breeding, not sure if that is accurate or not.

I actually gave up that fight years ago. Just didn't seem like it was a battle I could win.

2 different type flies. Mineral stuff is for horn flies. Tags for face flies. I've used the mineralfor several years with success, but iI think this year it will require a script(not positive) if it does I won'tuse it.

bse":14axh5ci said:
2 different type flies. Mineral stuff is for horn flies. Tags for face flies. I've used the mineralfor several years with success, but iI think this year it will require a script(not positive) if it does I won'tuse it.

IGR is not an antibiotic

bse":6rj51gvf said:

If you are using IGR, I was told it does not require a prescription.

I can see Bigfoot's point but I would not give up. I think using a spray with permethrin has more than a benefit in keeping flies off. It keeps ticks off and that will be a big advantage in preventing anaplasmosis.

M-5 and I must have posted simultaneously

Margonme":dng75htx said:
bse":dng75htx said:

I can see Bigfoot's point but I would not give up. I think using a spray with permethrin has more than a benefit in keeping flies off. It keeps ticks off and that will be a big advantage in preventing anaplasmosis.

you have to write a soliloquy where I put in easy to understand terms

M-5":1x5lfrfn said:
Margonme":1x5lfrfn said:
bse":1x5lfrfn said:

you have to write a soliloquy where I put in easy to understand terms

You are not as old as I am. I do that as part of my daily brain training. If you don't use it, you lose it at my age. Just like some of the other things hanging around. :D

Latest posts