Fly Control Mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":16x90cdl said:
Give them free choice salt and then they will not overconsume the mineral.

I buy a bag of mineral every 2 weeks. 30+ animals , I put out a bag of salt about every 10 days. They have to get their fill of it then they only eat what they need.

So are you saying to keep the FG Mineral out and mineral block both out. Or only the FG Mineral out??

quartermeter":2lya8ao2 said:
M-5":2lya8ao2 said:
Give them free choice salt and then they will not overconsume the mineral.

I buy a bag of mineral every 2 weeks. 30+ animals , I put out a bag of salt about every 10 days. They have to get their fill of it then they only eat what they need.

So are you saying to keep the FG Mineral out and mineral block both out. Or only the FG Mineral out??
Once the blocks are gone don't waste money on anymore of them.
Use good mineral with IGR and put loose salt beside it.
No matter what some say it works and works well.

The putting out loose salt depends on the mineral. Some minerals say to provide free choice mineral along with it and others say not to. To insure proper consumption, do wahtever tha bag says to do.

This is driving me nuts. I'll admit it's more of a putt than a drive but it's still happening. I've been searching trying to find the information about face/horn flies and their living/migratory habits. Can;t find any of the articles.studies that I have read in the past. Primarily looking for the ones that claim one fly stays on the cow while the other moves from herd to herd over longer distances.

"Face flies are strong fliers that can travel several miles. Unlike house flies, face flies do not enter darkened barns or stables during the summer months. In the fall, however, they enter buildings and overwinter indoors in a state of diapause, or hibernation."

interesting

I have neighboring cows about a half mile away .. I can tell you that the fly control mineral works.. I've gone without I g r and with its a big difference. . I put out wind in rain .. if I'm not mistaking the igr stops the growth cycle of the fly .. it doesn't stop them from reproducing .

JSCATTLE":307ltlb4 said:
I have neighboring cows about a half mile away .. I can tell you that the fly control mineral works.. I've gone without I g r and with its a big difference. . I put out wind in rain .. if I'm not mistaking the igr stops the growth cycle of the fly .. it doesn't stop them from reproducing .

You're right. But by stopping their growth before maturity it also stops reproduction.

IGR passes through the cow and remains in the manure. Fly eggs layed in the manure will hatch but the larvae will not develop.

Will draging the field and spreading the piles help keep flies from reproducing?? I would think it would if you did it weekly.

quartermeter":1ty540bu said:
Will draging the field and spreading the piles help keep flies from reproducing?? I would think it would if you did it weekly.
I don;t know what the length of time is from laying the egg to the new fly moving to the host, but you would have to drag the pasture in less time than that. Don;t think once a week would be often enough.

quartermeter":wccan4nb said:
Considering the expense of operating a tractor along with your time the IGR mineral would be a bargain. Combine this with a good population of dung beetles and there won't be much to drag.

IGR works! We hardly have a fly problem since we started feeding it. Our neighbor cows are covered in flies, ours are not. Flies lay eggs in the manure, but the eggs fail to mature. Once the fly dies, it does not reproduce, thus the fly cycle is broken. It is a cheap, easy way to control flies. We buy Vitaferm mineral with IGR in it, and put out free choice salt. We started IGR a few weeks ago, since we are warming up and the fly population is going to expound here quickly!

JMJ Farms":2pmknpuz said:
Cowgirl8, One thing to note. If you have neighbors with cows within two miles or so, and they're not using an effective fly control, you're wasting your money with fly control minerals. Most fly control minerals contain Altosid, which is an IGR (insect growth regulator) which doesn't kill the flies, but makes them unable to reproduce. Therefore if your neighbors aren't using fly control minerals, or a spray to kill the flies, then the flies are reproducing on the neighbors farms and then moving to your farm. By the time your IGR mineral is effectively reducing reproduction, you have a new crop of flies coming from the neighbors.

x2

Fire Sweep Ranch":1e76y90b said:
IGR works! We hardly have a fly problem since we started feeding it. Our neighbor cows are covered in flies, ours are not. Flies lay eggs in the manure, but the eggs fail to mature. Once the fly dies, it does not reproduce, thus the fly cycle is broken. It is a cheap, easy way to control flies. We buy Vitaferm mineral with IGR in it, and put out free choice salt. We started IGR a few weeks ago, since we are warming up and the fly population is going to expound here quickly!

How much is VITAFERM?? Purina Wind and Rain is $35/50 lb bag. How long should that last on 15 cows?? I bought 2 coop bags for $16 each. See how it does.

TexasBred":2j6gxf3w said:
quartermeter":2j6gxf3w said:
Considering the expense of operating a tractor along with your time the IGR mineral would be a bargain. Combine this with a good population of dung beetles and there won't be much to drag.
Tractor work is free. Don't you know nothing TB?

IGR is for the horn flies, don't think it does anything for face flies. That's what they tell me. Horn flies have very short radius, thats why it doesn't matter if your neighbors cows are on it, you will still see results.
I see here alot of folks add salt or have free choice salt, same deal told that if you cut it or have free choice salt, your cutting the X amount needed to work correctly?