Fly Control Mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

I've got 2 groups of cows, ~45hd per group. Mineral comes off the same pallet. One group goes through 150lbs about every 10 days. The other group is maybe 50lbs every 2 weeks. What gives? Do I need to add salt to get the second group to eat more?

I used to never put salt out, thought the mineral uptake wouldn't be right.
I use ADM minerals, the rep that calls on me told me to start putting out the salt. Said they will choose the one they are needing and get enough of what they need.

NolanCountyAG":3jeziqw4 said:
I've got 2 groups of cows, ~45hd per group. Mineral comes off the same pallet. One group goes through 150lbs about every 10 days. The other group is maybe 50lbs every 2 weeks. What gives? Do I need to add salt to get the second group to eat more?
I never worry about the ones who dont eat as much as recommended..Its the ones who eat it too fast that i try to limit. I figure that its just a few greedy cows who eat the mineral up fast in specially one herd.
On the question about rats and if they chew the bags open, we will get a pallet of it and it sits outside under a shed. I cant recall ever grabbing a bag with a hole chewed in it. I know the times we've bought feed on pallets, something always chews a hole in a couple of them.

Does anyone remember the mineral, or maybe it was protein with fish oil (was at the time i was raising kids and not working so much with cows, around 30 yrs ago)...But we would buy something or another, from a company that supplied the feeder. They'd haul it in filled. The stuff whatever it was, had fish oil in it. It was to limit how much the cows ate. Smelled terrible. I would think, when i got a whiff of it, that stuff must be pretty good for them to eat it with that fish oil in it.. Does anyone do that anymore? A lot of people fed it around us for a while, not sure why everyone quit.

Latest posts