Fly Control Ear Tags

Help Support CattleToday:

cnv65stang

Reaction score
I am new to ear tags in general. My cattle all have one Identification Ear Tag in the Females Left Ear and the Males Right Ear. I am wanting to start using Fly Control Ear Tags, but they recommend one in each ear. How do I put a fly control ear tag in each ear and keep my ID tag as well?
Thanks.
David.

Put the id tag in the middle third of the front of the ear. Move out a little ways and install the fly tags in the back of the ears. When you remove the fly tags use a tag remover on the back side of the ear instead of the button side.

About how far should the two tags be separated... an inch or so? Thanks for your help and the quick response...

I have ID tags in all my cattle as well as fly tags. I use two fly tags on each full grown cow and one on the younger cattle. I put the ID tags on the front and the fly tags on the back. I LOVE them! They work really well here in middle TN.

Fly control ear tags do work very well, but please note that if you are watering your cattle out of ponds and those ponds have fish in them, you have the possibility of killing off all of you fish. I know a lot has to do with the size of your ponds and the number of cattle you are running, but just know that it is a possibility!

cnv65stang":18djaggf said:
I am new to ear tags in general. My cattle all have one Identification Ear Tag in the Females Left Ear and the Males Right Ear. I am wanting to start using Fly Control Ear Tags, but they recommend one in each ear. How do I put a fly control ear tag in each ear and keep my ID tag as well?
Thanks.
David.

We are using Y-TEX PYthon Magnum tags. One tag per head. Available packs of 20 or 100 at approx $35 or $171. They seem to be doing a good job. We have ID tags in each ear. Put the tag in the middle flat and either inboard or outboard the ID. ID remained visible. Couple of suggestions: stay light on your feet and focused or control the head. We did a whole bunch in June and the one cow where I got distracted caught me hard in the gut and under the ribs. I landed about 5 foot away and it took about 10 minutes for me to catch my breath and shake the pain in the ribs. Second, follow the fly tag manufacture protocol.

I used fly tags for years, and I finally decided there not worth the money,time and trouble for no more than they help. I believe there are better ways.

denvermartinfarms":2i579mbw said:
I used fly tags for years, and I finally decided there not worth the money,time and trouble for no more than they help. I believe there are better ways.

Agreed. I can use IGRs and spray a lot easier than working cows when I usually wouldn't.

I spray and use rubs, blocks, and mineral, I use to fly tag all my cows every year and even every steer I brought in and like I said it just didn't seem to be worth it. Now I am not saying I won't ever use another fly tag but right now that is how I look at them.

Yes, I've read the label, but it just states the obvious, that insecticide is poisonous to fish and other aquatic life. The herbicides I use say the same thing.

"ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS
This pesticide is toxic to fish and aquatic
invertebrates. Do not contaminate water
by disposal of used tags. Use this
product only as specified on this label."

Who the heck would dispose of tags by throwing them in a pond?
I looked for google links to verifiable fish kills attributed to tag use--didn't see any, but will look again later.

We use fly tags on the mother cows in compliment with an IGR feed thru with very good results. We have found that just putting one fly tag in per animal works well for us. Fly tag in right ear, EID and visual ID tag in left ear. We haven't experienced any die off in stock ponds at any locations. Again, that's just how we do it.