Fly Control Alternative to Wind and Rain or Justifly

Help Support CattleToday:

Walking W

Reaction score
Well, it's horn fly season here in North Central Texas. I bought four heifers that were just covered with them.
I had been using Wind and Rain with Fly control (Altisod or s-methoprene) which does a good job but is expensive.

I recently bought Amdro's mosquito control "bombs" for my water trough. When I checked the ingredients, guess what?
The active ingredient is s-methoprene (Altisod) the same active ingredient as in Wind and Rain and Justify. It controls mosquitos through IGR.

I ran some numbers and this is what I found. The Altisod in wind and Rain costs about $446/oz.
The s-methoprene(ie. generic Altisod) in the Amdro mosquito control bombs cost $128/oz.

I may run an experiment and just use the mosquito control to give the same s-methoprene dose through the water trough and see how it works.

BTW- I did spray the poor girls with Permethrin head to hoof to give them some immediate relief.

Last edited:
I switched to a hi-mag with garlic and cinnamon this year that's made local at my feed mill, I was sceptical. I used Altosid before. But so far I'd say the flies have been reduced by 90% especially face flies and by this time last year I had already treated two cases of pink eye. Not sure on the horn flies, but worth trying in my book

I switched to a hi-mag with garlic and cinnamon this year that's made local at my feed mill, I was sceptical. I used Altosid before. But so far I'd say the flies have been reduced by 90% especially face flies and by this time last year I had already treated two cases of pink eye. Not sure on the horn flies, but worth trying in my book
Do you know what brand it is. Face flys are our biggest trouble. We have been using wind and rain with fly control for a few years. I don't know if it helps much we never have seemed to have a horn fly problem. Just use it as a precaution I guess.

Are you saying the Higher level of magnesium has an affect on flies? I realize people say Garlic and cinnamon does, but why pay for the Hi Mag if it isn't needed for grass tetany?

There really is no research proving garlic/cinnamon helps control flies. If you see less flies, it is because it repels flies, it does not kill flies or interrupt the life cycle of the fly as IGR does. (The larvae hatch prematurely and die). Our customers that have used the cinnamon/garlic mineral say they can tell when the mineral has run out in the tubs because they see more flies. Were they repelled and did they come back? I have no idea.

It takes 2 weeks from the time you put IGR out to see a reduction in flies because that is how long it takes to interrupt the life cycle. It is a really good idea to keep IGR in front of the cows until a freeze so that the flies don't overwinter and hatch in the spring. Start early and feed the IGR til late fall, you will see less flies in the spring and you have better fly control.

This year my mineral salesman has been emphasizing garlic as well, but I am not using it yet.

Another product I don't use is ClariFly (active ingredient diflubenzuron). It can be added to a feed ration or purchased in minerals or blocks (e.g. Sweetlix, Vitalix, etc)

There have been threads on garlic and cinnamon in the past on the Board. You might want to search for some of those to see what others think. Also, depending on your setup and how much area you have, parasitic wasps might be an additional tool. I know that some Dariy's use them and they are relatively cheap.

Do you know what brand it is. Face flys are our biggest trouble. We have been using wind and rain with fly control for a few years. I don't know if it helps much we never have seemed to have a horn fly problem. Just use it as a precaution I guess.
They make it, I get it from a place called southern states, not sure how big they are mostly local here I think. It's $16/ 50lb bag

Are you saying the Higher level of magnesium has an affect on flies? I realize people say Garlic and cinnamon does, but why pay for the Hi Mag if it isn't needed for grass tetany?

There really is no research proving garlic/cinnamon helps control flies. If you see less flies, it is because it repels flies, it does not kill flies or interrupt the life cycle of the fly as IGR does. (The larvae hatch prematurely and die). Our customers that have used the cinnamon/garlic mineral say they can tell when the mineral has run out in the tubs because they see more flies. Were they repelled and did they come back? I have no idea.

It takes 2 weeks from the time you put IGR out to see a reduction in flies because that is how long it takes to interrupt the life cycle. It is a really good idea to keep IGR in front of the cows until a freeze so that the flies don't overwinter and hatch in the spring. Start early and feed the IGR til late fall, you will see less flies in the spring and you have better fly control.
No the hi-mag definitely doesn't touch the flies, I'm using that blend for the spring flush but happens to coincide with fly season though. I like it all blended cause if I put out separate types they might not get some of both.
I'll just say i wasn't sold on the garlic, or any "organic" type stuff until I tried it.

They make it, I get it from a place called southern states, not sure how big they are mostly local here I think. It
Southern States is a Cooperative that has stores that are located throughout the upper South. They also have affiliate stores that are not cooperatives but sell their products. They have stores in VA, NC, KY, WV, and NC. We have an affiliate store here in my town in TN.

Well, it's horn fly season here in North Central Texas. I bought four heifers that were just covered with them.
I had been using Wind and Rain with Fly control (Altisod or s-methoprene) which does a good job but is expensive.

I recently bought Amdro's mosquito control "bombs" for my water trough. When I checked the ingredients, guess what?
The active ingredient is s-methoprene (Altisod) the same active ingredient as in Wind and Rain and Justify. It controls mosquitos through IGR.

I ran some numbers and this is what I found. The Altisod in wind and Rain costs about $446/oz.
The s-methoprene(ie. generic Altisod) in the Amdro mosquito control bombs cost $128/oz.

I may run an experiment and just use the mosquito control to give the same s-methoprene dose through the water trough and see how it works.

BTW- I did spray the poor girls with Permethrin head to hoof to give them some immediate relief.
You're kidding?? Altosid .4% that is put in fly control mineral runs about $3.00 a pound.

You're kidding?? Altosid .4% that is put in fly control mineral runs about $3.00 a pound.
Wind and Rain with Fly Control contains 0.014% S-Methoprene, according to the label. I understand there are other salt and mineral benefits to Wind and Rain with Fly Control but you can buy minerals for less than $10 per 50 lbs. Wind and Rain with Fly Control costs $47.99 per 50lbs at my local TSC. That extra $37.99 can be attributed to the minuscule amount(0.007 lbs) of actual IGR fly control product. Although I didn't include the value of the minerals in my original post, IGR is still pretty expensive by the pound.

Wind and Rain with Fly Control contains 0.014% S-Methoprene, according to the label. I understand there are other salt and mineral benefits to Wind and Rain with Fly Control but you can buy minerals for less than $10 per 50 lbs. Wind and Rain with Fly Control costs $47.99 per 50lbs at my local TSC. That extra $37.99 can be attributed to the minuscule amount(0.007 lbs) of actual IGR fly control product. Although I didn't include the value of the minerals in my original post, IGR is still pretty expensive by the pound.
I don't see it that way. You might find mineral for less than $10 per 50# (not very effective mineral), but I don't believe you will find non-fly control Wind and Rain for less than $10 per bag. Pretty sure you can't attribute $37.99 of wind and rain price to the fly control.
Can you provide information on where Wind and Rain non-fly control mineral is available for less than $10? Maybe I just don't understand.
TSC is not the most cost effective place to buy mineral.

Latest posts