flushing

Help Support CattleToday:

TSR

Reaction score
You people who have flushed cows quite often. What would be the chances of getting similar results on the progeny with respect to carcass traits. I had a heifer born to a cow that scanned a 6.74 imf and a .006 back fat just off grass and mothers milk. If I flushed this cow could I expect similar results with other heifer progeny? Opinions?

The cow may have had her best calf ever, but probably not. Flush her and get a bunch of siblings, some will be better and some will be worse. Keep the good ones and keep improving from there.

TSR":3tnvgy4t said:
You people who have flushed cows quite often. What would be the chances of getting similar results on the progeny with respect to carcass traits. I had a heifer born to a cow that scanned a 6.74 imf and a .006 back fat just off grass and mothers milk. If I flushed this cow could I expect similar results with other heifer progeny? Opinions?

Maybe. Flushmates are just like full sibling kids. You never know which genes they'll inherit from which parent. There used to be a lot of discussion about whether it was best to buy full brothers to improve uniformity in your cow herd or just use bulls with similar EPDs. I leaned toward the latter view, but have seen people willing to fork over big bucks for full brothers. For what it's worth, carcass traits are some of the most heritable traits.