Flushing

Help Support CattleToday:

badger

Reaction score
Wondering if any one has experience with a donor that has only produced 3eggs one flush and 2eggs second if it is worth it to keep flushing her or not

You need to ask your embryologist some questions. How did she stimulate? Can you increase the dose of FSH? Did you get several unfertilized? low grades? Is the donor too fat or too thin? Is the feed and mineral program adequete?
Some cows flush better after the calf is weaned some never give more than 2-3.
There are lots of thing that have to be just right to get good flushes and then it still doesn't always work. I would try making some adjustments before giving up on her if she is really valuable as a donor.

The more you flush one and keep her from being a cow the worse it will get. If she is a good cow and you have the time and ability to let her have another natural calve I would. And then again she may not ever be any better.

Breed her back. I had a cow, produced 18 on the 1st flush, 2 on the second and then 16 on the third... Doc it was just an infection on the 2nd flush... Ask about the color of mucus.. usually on cattle that are healthy.. mucus will be extremely clear... if it is smoky color or kinda white she may have some infection on with her ovaries.. ask the Dr.. they should be able to tell you what she feels like.

My advice right now.. Breed her back, let her calve and flush her 95 days after birth again.. hopefully that works and helps with egg production.. you might also want to increase the drugs, just as long as she don't over stimulate with 40 or 50 eggs..

you can change from FSh to pluset . It made a big difference on a donor here . She would not produce but 2-3 and sometimes nothing. We switched her to Pluset and now she is very prolific. also evaluate your mineral and nutrition program.

also keep in mind, not every cow is going to spit out 10+ eggs per flush. I have 2 donors that all they will spit out is 2-3 eggs. They are great producers from there natural calves but the embryo production got them culled as Donors. A true donor needs to excel at every phase of the game. Embryo production is one of the phases she needs to excel at.

As I said in another topic...try IVF embryos, you will produce higher number of viable embryos than flushing and better use of a valuable semen.

L

Bought a flush last spring, and had it done over the summer. She only produced 2 embryos. Turns out it was hot, and they only used one straw. Be careful when buying flushes.

6m, if they only used 1 straw, I would ask for my money back. We always use 3 and if the semen is one off a bull we have a lot of we use 4 straws. Most people who sell a flush guarantee at least 4 eggs.

They guaranteed 6 embryos, so they pro-rated the selling price. Semen was rare(expensive), so they weren't willing to flush again to make up the difference. My point is, make sure every possible detail is in writing. When are they going to flush, what happens if they don't get enough eggs, who provides semen, shipping costs, flush costs, etc. Lot of different factors in a simple transaction, especially when it's with someone you don't know.

Latest posts