Flushing with sexed semen ?

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
I flushed a cow several years ago with sexed Grandmaster semen and we only got 3 or 4 embryos but did get a live calf out of those. The Vet said it was probably the use of sexed semen was the reason for a poor flush because there were several unfertilized in there 6 I believe. I`m sure that was 3 ml semen count back then and the technology was relatively new. Have any of you flushed using the 4 or 5 ml semen ? Has the quality gotten better in recent years I`ve heard that the process has changed just not sure if I should risk it again with the cost of the flush and the $200 a straw semen it adds up pretty quickly.

I'd call stgenetics and talk to them. They're only 6-8% behind traditional semen with standard ai on sexed semen now I believe is what they said

interested in following this thread as I have a cow I am thinking about flushing with sexed semen next fall if she is not carrying a heifer now.

Vet scheduled to do pregnancy work and fetal sexing on my small herd on March 2nd.

I bred this cow with Sexed Semen Thanksgiving weekend and she was in a strong heat three weeks later so I used an old straw of Jipsey Earl and have not seen any heat since and she is still wearing her chalk for exposure to a clean up bull.

always has a bull and has a nice bull calf on her now....I sure want a heifer out of her. Had to buy five units of sexed semen to try to breed one cow so I still have enough to do 4 services for a flush.

Junky":fcjbjbpv said:
If you want sexed calves you need to go ivf.

I strongly disagree with that.

I regularly used sexed semen in flushing and do just fine with conventional flushes. Plus, the quality of eggs are generally much better with a conventional flush and the cost is cheaper. You may have to use an extra straw but still much more cost effective.

I also think your embryologist has a lot to do with it. There are a lot of variables there.

For example, one flush I did out of a cow I got 5 first time through. Next cycle they slightly adjusted the drugs and I got 8.

I have another group of sexed semen embryos getting ready to hit the ground now so I will share the percentages when I am done.

I have talked to two embryo transfer vets.

one flushed my cows several years ago very successfully. He gave me prices and told me to call back when ready to schedule.

the other who is closer and whom I have never worked with immediately started the sales pitch on the more expensive ivf...

that was what he really wanted to do even though it did not fit my management timing,
and all potential recip cows are currently bred so I don't have any recips,
and the minimal risk of disrupting the current pregnancy and putting my donor out of sync with my herd...
it was still what he was encouraging me to do...

I flushed with sexed semen this year, on the cows that worked it did well, I'm pleased enough that I will do it again.
You have to be patient and wait, with conventional you breed 1 straw at set time, then 1 more 12 hrs later and 1 more 12 hours later, unless she comes into heat early. With sexed, 2 straws 12 hours after heat and 2 more straws 12 hours later, embryologist said it did well for sexed, very few unfertilized, I would have liked to have had more of course but not the semens fault. It was from ST

We delivered two donors off at Bickett Genetics today. We plan to have each flushed 3 times and one of the flushes will be with sexed heifer semen from ST Genetics. We have never used sexed semen, absolutely no experience with it so will be interesting to see what happens. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Gizmom

We flushed a cow with sexed semen, ended up with 12 unfertilized eggs. Our embryologist suggested against it, but I wanted to try. I learned my lesson.

Fire Sweep I`m curious how long ago was your flush ? The reason I ask is supposedly they changed something a couple of years ago and the semen was supposed to be better than what I used about 5 - 6 years ago. I think I will try to talk to Dr. Spears and just ask his opinion I`m sure as many a he does he`s been asked to try it and I know he`ll give me an honest opinion.

My vet does not recommend flushing with sexed semen. He says he has tried it and not liked the results.

I'm not completely sold on IVF yet, but I don't think id be throwing 4 straws, of some highly sought after and very expensive sexed semen, in a cow for a conventional flush. Just my opinion.

I'll add my embryologist wasn't much on the idea, but said go for it, after it was done she said it was great for sexed semen.
Gizmos, we used Response and Raindance, got along well with them as far as no unfertilized eggs, used some Payweight conventional did ok. It wasn't better than sexed, like you said nothing ventured nothing gained. We put in 4 #1s fresh they all stuck. I never want another bull, so for me I'm sold!!!!!
Figured out Its different breeding cows, patience!!!!

BSE
We will be flushing our SAV Blackcap May 0524 to SAV Extension 6856 sexed heifer semen. I have been interested in this bull since I saw him listed in the Schaff catalog last year when Ingram Angus picked him up at the sale it confirmed to me that I needed to sample him, It will be used the second time she is flushed first flush will be to a bull we collected Coleman EXT 6149. We flushed her that way once and got 4 eggs all took three Bulls and one heifer. The heifer is the best heifer we have in the first calf heifer pen at this stage. She took AI first time through the chute has a hum dinger of a heifer calf at side out of Charlo. I would like to make a pasture full just like her. We haven't palpated yet to know if she bred back AI but man I like Her a bunch. The third flush will be to SAV Abundance I just liked that bull so much when we went to the AI studs last summer, I just want to add some of that genetic line into our herd. The other cow we will be flushing is Sinclair Queen Mother 6R109 she will be flushed to 6149 we currently have 7 calves on the ground out of this mating and they are all really good. Second flush will be to SAV Reign and third flush to Charlo.

Gizmom

BSE
We will be flushing our SAV Blackcap May 0524 to SAV Extension 6856 sexed heifer semen. I have been interested in this bull since I saw him listed in the Schaff catalog last year when Ingram Angus picked him up at the sale it confirmed to me that I needed to sample him, It will be used the second time she is flushed first flush will be to a bull we collected Coleman EXT 6149. We flushed her that way once and got 4 eggs all took three Bulls and one heifer. The heifer is the best heifer we have in the first calf heifer pen at this stage. She took AI first time through the chute has a hum dinger of a heifer calf at side out of Charlo. I would like to make a pasture full just like her. We haven't palpated yet to know if she bred back AI but man I like Her a bunch. The third flush will be to SAV Abundance I just liked that bull so much when we went to the AI studs last summer, I just want to add some of that genetic line into our herd. The other cow we will be flushing is Sinclair Queen Mother 6R109 she will be flushed to 6149 we currently have 7 calves on the ground out of this mating and they are all really good. Second flush will be to SAV Reign and third flush to Charlo.

Sorry about the double post traveling home today and this road is rough!
Gizmom

jd720":3ejmgjta said:
Fire Sweep I`m curious how long ago was your flush ? The reason I ask is supposedly they changed something a couple of years ago and the semen was supposed to be better than what I used about 5 - 6 years ago. I think I will try to talk to Dr. Spears and just ask his opinion I`m sure as many a he does he`s been asked to try it and I know he`ll give me an honest opinion.

It was about 5 years ago, maybe 6. Dr. Spears is at the top of his game, so do tell what he says when you ask him, I'd be curious to know.
I am not sold on IVF either. I bought two sets of IVF embryos, one set I knew was IVF, the other were advertised as conventional but when they arrived and we put one in, it was IVF. I have put two in, one stuck. My embryologist likes to have the recip about 24 hours out farther with an IVF (so 8 days instead of 7), he said he has better luck. So now that we know the second set is IVF, we can plan better.

We are flushing our recently purchased donor with regular semen 1st go round. We also ordered sexed semen and will be using that the second flush. We are doing both flushes with same sire.

Will be interesting to see the difference. Her 1st flush will be shortly. I'll report back what the results are but someone may have to remind me. Running on pure exhaustion these days.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3i8gyqpl said:
We flushed a cow with sexed semen, ended up with 12 unfertilized eggs. Our embryologist suggested against it, but I wanted to try. I learned my lesson.

That's just odd. The straws could have been bad because I have never heard of that kind of result before.

Latest posts