Flushing a heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

I've never flushed an 18 month old heifer, but I have flushed several 12-15 month olds. Use a smaller dose of FSH and only flush them once before letting them have a calf. I have not seen any detrimental affects and have had no trouble getting them bred after flushing. Heifers usually produce fewer embryos than cows. But I did have one heifer produce 19 good embryos. She averaged 19 over her lifetime. However, it takes a pretty special heifer to make me want to risk the expense and potential risk of flushing without first seeing what kind of calf she will produce.

I'd think you'd be better off flushing her mother back to the same bull if possible. You already know that combination produces if you are even thinking of flushing the heifer.

You all make good points. I am at a point where I need another 10 cows for the pasture I have next year. Most of my cows are bred(including this heifers mother). I don't know much about "in-vitro", I guess it can be done on bred females. I had this nice heifer that I didn't expose this year and I just got to thinking maybe she would be the one to do a flush on. I know the genetics, I would know what I was getting, she fits with one the bulls I have semen on and have been looking for an opportunity to use. A straight flush is probably cheaper than "in-vitro". I have been taking a rather slow approach to building the herd back up and am starting to lose my patience, I guess. I am just thinking I need to fill the pastures and start looking to sqeeze more out of the cattle enterprise. Plus, I have a sneaking suspicion that purchasing a few recips now and selling them in 18 months might pay off.

jkwilson":2fiv8qm5 said:
I'd think you'd be better off flushing her mother back to the same bull if possible. You already know that combination produces if you are even thinking of flushing the heifer.
I agree. Our embryologist does not recommend flushing heifers...

Latest posts