Flush to whom?

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife

Reaction score
We purchased a bred heifer last October. EPD's were minimal but we stole her for a good price.

Once she calved, we pulled blood and sent for testing. She's a Tour of Duty daughter and we thought we'd be okay after looking at sire/dam EPDs although dams were minimal too.

So, we want to flush her cuz she's pretty but didn't want to, till we got results of genomics back. We've exhausted most our semen inventory. So we'll order whatever.

We want good females but a nice bull is good too. She's smooth. Beautiful. Screams female!

If you could breed her to anything, what would it be?

The safe bet that would set you up with nice females is Hoover Dam. I think you would want to moderate her growth.
Not too many bulls with a 147 YW epd. I think Hoover Dam is one bull that will live on in pedigrees.
If you look there are a lot of nice bulls with semen companies that are out of Hoover Dam.

An alternative is Rampage. He has a lot of nice sons out there and sale toppers.
Her docility looks like she can handle him. Good luck with her.

Good recommendation. I've been pushing for Hoover in the right circumstances. I love her growth but I know it's not favorable in females. I'd like several bulls with her EPD's. I compared her to Epic (fave bull at moment for our operation... but from commercial aspect) and she's pretty much neck and neck with his numbers aside from CED and BW. But I know not all that is favorable in replacements.

I personally think Connealy black granite. That girl has plenty of growth already. I have seen some exceptional cows, and bulls out of him.
If you are breeding for carcass, there are probably a few better options. I ended up ordering some black granite for myself this fall.

As a commercial bull buyer I won't by an et calf out of something that hasn't raised at least 4 calves so I wouldn't flush her yet. Breeding cattle by adding and subtracting numbers is a waste of time. There are plenty of bull of the month options that won't amount to anything. Use a proven bull that you know what you are getting.

I know what my first pick for fall is gonna be, Extension 18579001 an XXP son, really like my XXP's you can get sexed and make those females. He is at,ST.
I used Legend, Response, Raindance, and XML to flush with from them. If your playing numbers they may not fit.
Conventional I'd use Index from SS really like my Index's.

What's the rest of her pedigree or reg #

Are you looking to retain all females or market some out of the flush?

I would use resource. Just got back from out west and those resource females look very nice. He's proven

W.B.":d93nvrmn said:
As a commercial bull buyer I won't by an et calf out of something that hasn't raised at least 4 calves so I wouldn't flush
her yet. Breeding cattle by adding and subtracting numbers is a waste of time.
There are plenty of bull of the month options that won't amount to anything.
Use a proven bull that you know what you are getting.
Bull studs do. Years ago one of one breeds all-time great sires came from a 1st calf heifer that died a month calving, everyone involved made a ton of money off him.
Hot bulls of the month bring a lot of money, so adding and subtracting numbers is far from a waste of time.
Hoover Dam isn't proven enough for you?

Tbrake":1d2tkxvn said:
I personally think Connealy black granite. That girl has plenty of growth already. I have seen some exceptional cows, and bulls out of him.
If you are breeding for carcass, there are probably a few better options. I ended up ordering some black granite for myself this fall.
We do love Black Granite! I'll have to look at his current numbers.

bse":3tgs6rv3 said:
I know what my first pick for fall is gonna be, Extension 18579001 an XXP son, really like my XXP's you can get sexed and make those females. He is at,ST.
I used Legend, Response, Raindance, and XML to flush with from them. If your playing numbers they may not fit.
Conventional I'd use Index from SS really like my Index's.
Will look into those!

W.B.":2b5f6lpq said:
As a commercial bull buyer I won't by an et calf out of something that hasn't raised at least 4 calves so I wouldn't flush her yet. Breeding cattle by adding and subtracting numbers is a waste of time. There are plenty of bull of the month options that won't amount to anything. Use a proven bull that you know what you are getting.
We love going proven and wouldn't do anything less on her.

You are aware that genomic testing is similar to having roughly 9 calves on the ground, correct? We've seen plenty of the bull of the months who've fallen flat on their face.

My reasoning for not buying bulls out of cows that haven't raised at least 4 calves has to do with all the traits that epds don't measure. There are just way too many cows that are getting flushed who couldn't survive in the real world let alone raise a decent calf on their own. I know I may sound old and antiquated but my reasoning is born of experience not hype and hope.

We have been having colder weather than normal and the maternal instincts to have a calf, get it up and then protect it from the wind is amazing and there are some stark differences. Flush away heck if you don't some one else will.

IF you want to swing for the fences for big time home run numbers (or a strike out) check out the young sire
Bar R Jet Black reg 18381938 at Origen ced 11 yw 159 sc 1.38 doc 24 $W 86 $F148 $B 205
sire Black Granite x mgs Upward
Connealy Onward is the sire of Upward and War Party making him a great grandsire of both Jet Black and your Lassie, giving you a touch of line breeding for uniformity.

It's the type of mating that could get you Bull of the Month Club membership.

Agree with Hoover Dam, but if you want a son who is got more growth, I'd look at Niagara at Select

wrong number Son 18389838 If I was gonna swing for the fences id look at Acclaim 17972810 stronger numbers and more proven, better than fair ACC. That may get you in bull of the year if you have the money to push it.

Son of Butch":3lvi43to said:
IF you want to swing for the fences for big time home run numbers (or a strike out) check out the young sire
Bar R Jet Black reg 18381938 at Origen ced 11 yw 159 sc 1.38 doc 24 $W 86 $F148 $B 205
sire Black Granite x mgs Upward
Connealy Onward is the sire of Upward and War Party making him a great grandsire of both Jet Black and your Lassie, giving you a touch of line breeding for uniformity.

It's the type of mating that could get you Bull of the Month Club membership.

A question was asked in this post about our goal and while bull of the month would be great, we are wanting to, at this time... breed for replacements. If we could get females who can throw a good growing calf to finish out, that's a lot more money for us than a pipe dream. Since reality pays the bills. I'm really pushing for Epic but Hoover is a sire I've wanted to use also. That docility just scares us a bit. Our cows aren't hot heads. I know much of that has to do with how often you handle them and we have a strong presence but that is most certainly inheritable too. Have you had Hoover calves?

bse":t0e72khq said:
wrong number Son 18389838 If I was gonna swing for the fences id look at Acclaim 17972810 stronger numbers and more proven, better than fair ACC. That may get you in bull of the year if you have the money to push it.
We do have some acclaim in our tank. My husband had a neighbor flush his cow to her and he got 25 good eggs! Neighbor had semen shipping overnight that never made it. So we helped him out in a pinch. Good cow. Acclaim is hot around here locally. Better bet than what he was going to flush her to, in my opinion.

How much growth can a female have before they just look like a train wreck?

Latest posts