Flush to whom?

Help Support CattleToday:

They were OK, just didn't seem to mesh very well with our cows. Only got one heifer that we decided to keep. We did have one Bull calf that weaned off the heaviest of all though, just didn't continue to perform on test. I guess we had a few really nice ones and some that were not very good. Not very consistent. We bought Straws of him when he was unproven, when he was Calving Ease and Bred heifers to him, that's where the "oops"came from.

Well, she's started her shots. We'll flush her on the 14th. We are doing Acclaim the first go round because of the interest of the mating, around here. If she flushes well, we have an opportunity to make some money on her embryos but the interest in them is making my husband second guess whether we should sell them.

We'll flush her a second time to Jet Black and then have her calve to Resource, probably. I do like that Jet Black.

NEFarmwife":3dplekn8 said:
Well, she's started her shots. We'll flush her on the 14th. We are doing Acclaim the first go round because of the interest of the mating, around here. If she flushes well, we have an opportunity to make some money on her embryos but the interest in them is making my husband second guess whether we should sell them.

We'll flush her a second time to Jet Black and then have her calve to Resource, probably. I do like that Jet Black.

I'll bite, why not flush her again to Acclaim? Making money is never a bad thing.

True Grit Farms":168iknov said:
NEFarmwife":168iknov said:

I'll bite, why not flush her again to Acclaim? Making money is never a bad thing.
A little diversity. If for say, we only had 4 good eggs for first round, may flush to acclaim again. Right now, we only have 5 recips for transfer and wouldn't mind a few in the tank for later but if she flushes really good (anything over 8?)... We would sell a few. I want to have a few different matings from this girl.

I have only seen acclaim calves at one place. You had to look to find them as there wasn't even one stick out individual. Makes me wonder if he might be a paper tiger. I will also add he is a hot item at the moment.

Dixie2542":356695hx said:
I realize jet Black is young but have you or anyone seen offspring? I like the look and pedigree.
Not any of his offspring but we've used and liked his sire. I showed him to a few guys last night, they like the looks of him and are also fans of his sire.

W.B.":1qitzt9s said:
My reasoning for not buying bulls out of cows that haven't raised at least 4 calves has to do with all the traits that epds don't measure. There are just way too many cows that are getting flushed who couldn't survive in the real world let alone raise a decent calf on their own. I know I may sound old and antiquated but my reasoning is born of experience not hype and hope.

We have been having colder weather than normal and the maternal instincts to have a calf, get it up and then protect it from the wind is amazing and there are some stark differences. Flush away heck if you don't some one else will.

I agree with what you said. IMO the stud farms using young sires that have never spent a year covering pastures and breeders using unproven females has led to other issues. A cow that hasn't had to nurse a calf and walk a large pasture for a living hasn't proved she can survive in the real commercial world. Also you only know maternal traits and instincts from seeing them in real time. Just last Sunday we turned out some heifers and calves. While we were there a very large dog came over the top of the hill and one of them took off at a run and gave him a boost and followed him a ways. Coyotes are terrible in our country so that survival trait is important. When she came back her and one more took their calves and headed off.
With that being said I respect your decision to flush her. The Tour of Duty's has caught my attention some but the few I've seen haven't impressed me as much. I like the Hoover Dams. One of the young bulls we retained and are using is a grandson of HD on the top side and his dam is an own daughter of War Party. IMO Hoover Dam and Final Answer are always good solid bets for a good functional animal.

Excited! We had 10 confirmed eggs. Embryologist said there could be one or two more but he was busy and had to pass the buck to someone else for handling. He'll contact us later and let us know final count if that number has changed. 6 we did a live transfer.

Nick Jindra showed up just as they were finishing with our live transfers. Our embryologist introduced my husband to him and shared our donors numbers. He asked for Hubbys contact info and took a look at our donor but she was already in the trailer. So, wasn't a whole lot of her to see.

Our embryologist really thinks she's something to look at and he sees a lot of good cows.

What are the odds, that the sires owner shows up when you're flushing? Lol. It was kinda neat and I'm jealous that I couldn't be there.

But I am STOKED. We wanted atleast 6 for transfers. We'll have her back in June if the weather doesn't get too hot.

I am just beside myself. We've had such great news these last few days, in our personal lives and then this just took the cake! I'm off work now, think I'll have me a glass of wine.

NEFarmwife":2y0z6b1s said:
Excited! We had 10 confirmed eggs. Embryologist said there could be one or two more but he was busy and had to pass the buck to someone else for handling. He'll contact us later and let us know final count if that number has changed. 6 we did a live transfer.

Nick Jindra showed up just as they were finishing with our live transfers. Our embryologist introduced my husband to him and shared our donors numbers. He asked for Hubbys contact info and took a look at our donor but she was already in the trailer. So, wasn't a whole lot of her to see.

Our embryologist really thinks she's something to look at and he sees a lot of good cows.

What are the odds, that the sires owner shows up when you're flushing? Lol. It was kinda neat and I'm jealous that I couldn't be there.

But I am STOKED. We wanted atleast 6 for transfers. We'll have her back in June if the weather doesn't get too hot.

I am just beside myself. We've had such great news these last few days, in our personal lives and then this just took the cake! I'm off work now, think I'll have me a glass of wine.

Officially 13 eggs. 6 live transfers, 7 froze.

Dixie2542":3ihh036t said:
Congratulations! That's wonderful news and meeting the owner is a good bonus to boot. Anything over 7 is great in my opinion. Hope they stick. Are you still planning to use Jet Black on your next flush?
To my knowledge, yes. We got the semen for it. A lot can change from now till then.

Congratulations. You all must have taken extra special care to get her ready. Multimin? Concept-Aid?

Air gator":3cmm16xs said:
Congratulations. You all must have taken extra special care to get her ready. Multimin? Concept-Aid?
No sir. She's with calf so we give her a lactating ration, a good quality mineral thru Hubbard Feeds, and head scratches.

Then all the shots prior to flush was our embryologists doing. He's exceptional.

Flushed this donor today. She gave us 15 embryos! We flushed her to Bubs this go round. She gave us 13 last time.

Our ET guy let us view them thru the microscope. It was neat to have him explain to us the different sizes/stages of the various embryos.

I will be honest I have not read the entire thread, but s to the original question. We don't flush heifers, no matter how good they look or how great the pedigree. At this stage she is just a nice heifer with a nice pedigree, that just doesn't make her flush quality.

Gizmom

We have no clue on flushing or the like. We are breeding for replacements. So, given that, we are looking hard at hoover dam, 7229, Impression and/or Consensus. I'd toss CC&7 in there as well. momma making fathers....