Floundered Feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I purchased a small group of fleshy feeders for a reasonable price, got them home, and found out the next day that two of them are walking of the tips of their toes with their backs humped up. Obviously they had been grained too much. I am not sure if my eyes are bad or they were doctored up before the sale - - either way I own them.

Are they freezer beef or is there something that can help them recover? I don't see how they can do well on pasture in their current condition.

Stocker Steve":23lt1f0n said:
I purchased a small group of fleshy feeders for a reasonable price, got them home, and found out the next day that two of them are walking of the tips of their toes with their backs humped up. Obviously they had been grained too much. I am not sure if my eyes are bad or they were doctored up before the sale - - either way I own them.

Are they freezer beef or is there something that can help them recover? I don't see how they can do well on pasture in their current condition.
foundering is hard to correct.esp when you dont know how much or how long they was foundered.are their toes long.if so it might help to trim them.id go a head an put them in the freezer.because they will only lose you money the longer you keep them.

Founder
Signs
Lameness caused by heat and pain around the coronet of the hoof.
Reluctance to move.
The animal may lean back to take the weight off the front feet so that feet are forward of vertical.
Gait is shuffling and stumbling.
Cause
Inability of the animal to digest high-grain rations. Founder is an occasional end result of lactic acidosis. Protein level of the ration may be deficient.

Treatment
Mild cases often recover without treatment, provided the ration is corrected. More severe cases require urgent veterinary attention.

When an animal recovers from grain poisoning, feedlot bloat or founder, it rarely performs satisfactorily and should be culled.

Give them some time- I've seen plenty get over it.

See if you can find some antihistimine to give them.

You weren't blind-- some idiot heated them up right before they were sold :( They did fine on his place but the stress of moving them with a belly full/no water/confined spaces--- probably triggered it .
I have more trouble with buying fat calves than I do with starved calves. Anyone who really knows how to feed a calf- doesn't sell them thru sales as a single.

Latest posts