florida hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

grand chaser09

Reaction score
heres a few pictures of some of the hogs we caught on our old lease.

fuh162.jpg

he weighed 315 after bleeding out for 30 min
fuh193.jpg

chris
haha017.jpg

they all wanted a pic with the white one. :roll:
haha031.jpg

mm197.jpg

when you say caught, do you catch them in a trap, with dogs, or how. We are just begining to get a few and would like to know how we might control them. also, is the first picture of the hog with the feet tied of a live or dead hog? Did you tie him if he was alive?

we use dogs. and the one tied is alive. he was nasty as all get out. turned and tried to cut the truck tire when we let him go. adn i'll try to get some pics of that buggy. it's a biggin.

grand chaser09":6k4agh59 said:
we use dogs. and the one tied is alive. he was nasty as all get out. turned and tried to cut the truck tire when we let him go. adn i'll try to get some pics of that buggy. it's a biggin.

I figured as much based on the height of the steering wheel. Dogs, guns and pigs makes for a good time. :nod:

kerley":2clr3ov2 said:
Why did you release the hog?
Tom

most of what we caught were boars so we casturated them and turned them back out. we thought we'd still have that lease this year but they went up alot on the price. so we did that to still have them and kill them when they got bigger to get more meat out of them.

Good idea on castrating those boars. I am with Jo...lets see some pics of the swamp buggie.

kenny thomas":2y7jm4k2 said:
when you say caught, do you catch them in a trap, with dogs, or how. We are just begining to get a few and would like to know how we might control them. also, is the first picture of the hog with the feet tied of a live or dead hog? Did you tie him if he was alive?

Controlling hogs is kinda of like picking a turd up from the clean end.
If you have 100 hogs according to the game biologist here you need to kill 76 a year to stay at 100.
Controlling hogs is a full time job with lead, trap's and bait and your still going to loose.
The best you can do is to put enough pressure to move them.
Corn soaked in coal tar will kill them Black Flag dead.

Caustic Burno":2fwa5mzy said:
kenny thomas":2fwa5mzy said:

Controlling hogs is kinda of like picking a turd up from the clean end.
If you have 100 hogs according to the game biologist here you need to kill 76 a year to stay at 100.
Controlling hogs is a full time job with lead, trap's and bait and your still going to loose.
The best you can do is to put enough pressure to move them.
Corn soaked in coal tar will kill them Black Flag dead.
What is coal tar?

Thanks for the advice on them. We are just getting them so I have a lot to learn.
Coal oil was given by old people as a remedy for something but I can't remember what. I do remember taking it as a child. Very small dose but tasted like sh/?.

it does take alot to keep the pop down. every time we went up there there seemed to be a new batch running around.

grand chaser09":fpx0ubjh said:
it does take alot to keep the pop down. every time we went up there there seemed to be a new batch running around.

Every hog here is innocalated with lead no exceptions you will fast become public enemy number one for catch and release in this part of the country. Hog dogs are public enemy number two and I am a dog hunter.
Hogs have every fence in this country tore up dogs after a big boar or sow will tear down every fence they hit doesn't mean anything to a hog.

Caustic Burno":38m6fx01 said:
grand chaser09":38m6fx01 said:

Every hog here is innocalated with lead no exceptions you will fast become public enemy number one for catch and release in this part of the country. Hog dogs are public enemy number two and I am a dog hunter.
Hogs have every fence in this country tore up dogs after a big boar or sow will tear down every fence they hit doesn't mean anything to a hog.

true we had this problem at the pasture behind our house. all of those hogs were shot or trapped and then shot. but this was a hunting lease and the "boys" had to have something to do every weekend and i went along to sew dogs up if need be.

I've heard that hogs are easily scared out of an area if you pressure them. Is this true or just bs. It seems that the hogs on our deer lease have setup camp and are staying. In the past I might see sign or get pictures once a year where it seems they are just passing through. But this time we have seen them and found rootings for about two months now. I would like to get them out of there but in the meantime I would like to kill a few. Any knowledgable hog hunters out there have any info about them?