Florida Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Madman

Reaction score
In going through the classified section, it appears that cattle in Florida are cheaper than elsewhere. Is this my imagination or can someone explain this to me.

Refuse to buy cheap to take advantage of another ranchers misfortune. I remember in the big drought northern ranchers were shipping hay south to keep our southern brethen alive. If your going to buy you should pay top dollar.

Florida cattle may be cheaper now because of the hurricanes but they are generally cheaper. I wondered about this earlier this year and asked a neighbor who has been all over the country working cattle in one form or another.

His explanation was that a lot of cattle in Florida just run wild in the brush and have never seen man, but quality cattle located in Florida would be comparable to quality cattle in the rest of the US.

Thank you for your insight. I have noticed this for quite awile, not just since Florida got hammered. I am not trying to buy...just trying to understand.

I've wondered, when the president sends all the emergency dollars to help rebuild, does that include replacing herds and flocks? What about hay? They'd have to go to another state? I worry about that aspect of floods and such.

Refuse to buy cheap to take advantage of another ranchers misfortune.
I totally agree but........ if no one is at the sale barn then the prices are even lower. I think if everyone would GO to the salebarn and bid on these cattle it would drive the prices up. The ranchers are having to sell them either way.

My post looke totally screwed up it should read like this:

Refuse to buy cheap to take advantage of another ranchers misfortune.

I totally agree but........ if no one is at the sale barn then the prices are even lower. I think if everyone would GO to the salebarn and bid on these cattle it would drive the prices up. The ranchers are having to sell them either way.

Frenchie.. that solution would have a whole 'nother set of problems.

What if one of the ones you take in gets sick? Breaks a leg? Gets bred too early, or to a bull the owner doesn't want a calf out of? Who's going to pay to ship them? You'd probably have to go a long way to find someone that is in a good enough position to help. The rain / floods really covered a lot of area.

But very nice that you were thinking of helping out. I don't think there's a good solution for such an unfortunate situation.

I agree with TheBullLady plus some of those people may need the money to help rebuild their homes and farms. A lot of people don't see cattle as a liquid asset, I do.

TheBullLady and
txshowmom

well i respect your opinons..............here is mine...........I just don,t like to see good people taken advantage of.And yes they will likely need the money.I only wish i was close enough to help.

As far as disease goes if you there bidding at the sale.You are prepared to take the risk anyway.Injuries are a fact of the cattle business.

One last thing cows may be liquid assests. but they also generate revenue.and those people will need an income.

frenchie":29p7dzpv said:
TheBullLady and
txshowmom

well i respect your opinons..............here is mine...........I just don,t like to see good people taken advantage of.And yes they will likely need the money.I only wish i was close enough to help.

As far as disease goes if you there bidding at the sale.You are prepared to take the risk anyway.Injuries are a fact of the cattle business.

One last thing cows may be liquid assests. but they also generate revenue.and those people will need an income.

I kind of wonder if our Northern Neighbors don't have a little different take on some things because of the hoseing they have gotten and are still getting.

dun

Dun.........I kind of wonder if our Northern Neighbors don't have a little different take on some things because of the hoseing they have gotten and are still getting...

...........................................................................................................
My view on this has nothing to do with our hard times.

My dad had a saying That a fair deal was fair to both parties.Dad always insisted we try and treat people like neighbours.

DADS RULES

#1 rule you don,t screw your neighbours.

#2 you help them when they need it.

#3 rule you don,t gossip about your neighbours.

My dad had a saying That a fair deal was fair to both parties.Dad always insisted we try and treat people like neighbours.

DADS RULES

I think that's half the problem up here in Canada. We still do alot of our business with handshake deals. The rest of the world seems to have moved past this, so if its not written down, you're screwed and sometimes they still try to screw you even if it is written down.

My father always told me 'When you come into this world, all you have is your word as a man. All you need to do is to keep it. If you lose everything else but your word is still good, you'll be okay.'

Cattle Rack Rancher":140gcz00 said:

DADS RULES

I think that's half the problem up here in Canada. We still do alot of our business with handshake deals. The rest of the world seems to have moved past this, so if its not written down, you're screwed and sometimes they still try to screw you even if it is written down.

My father always told me 'When you come into this world, all you have is your word as a man. All you need to do is to keep it. If you lose everything else but your word is still good, you'll be okay.'

Gentlemen, this line of discussion is at least insulting to me. I know lots of fine Americans that you can do business with even without a hand shake and count their word as good as money. I also know some awful sorry Canadians that you couldn't trust with a contract. As a matter of fact I know one in particular where I got paid much slower than agreed. Having said all that I can't tell much difference between the honesty of agriculture people in any country . The difference is in the people and the way they were raised. Some people's word is good some not.

I'll second Ollie's comments. We've all known good people and sorry people, in the country, in small towns, in the big city, in the US, in Canada and elsewhere. It's about a person's raising, worldview, faith and character. The best of the best and the worst of the worst can be found anywhere – including church. True, good people are harder to come by than sorry people. But it's always been that way and always will, regardless of nationality. Some cultures, IMO, have a greater distribution of good than others, but that's a different debate. In this case (Canada vs US) we're talking about the same basic Western culture.

Craig-TX

ollie":2k9f0jzf said:
Having said all that I can't tell much difference between the honesty of agriculture people in any country . The difference is in the people and the way they were raised. Some people's word is good some not.
Well said, Ollie!

On the original topic, add freight to your Florida cattle to the place where they eventually hang and see what they cost then. The trucking is usually the big differential that levels markets between regions.

Latest posts