Florida Bull Test

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
The 2013/14 Florida Bull Test was started this week. The bulls are all doing well and eating feed in the feed efficiency facility well. This is the largest consignment of bulls that they have had at the FL Bull Test in more than 10 years and the quality of the bulls is reported to be excellent. At arrival on July 30 the bulls averaged 824 lbs. During the three weeks from arrival to initiation of the test the bulls gained 2.19 lbs/day and now average 870 pounds. The bulls were delivered to the beef unit on July 30th where they began a 21 day warm up. We placed four bulls into this years test They are ranked in order of their ADG for the warm up period. Our bulls ranked as follows:

Test ID Breed Consignor Consignor Bull ID Arrival Weight Start Weight ADG Since Arrival ADGRank
1195 Angus Gizmo Angus 1239 646 759 5.38 3
1198 Angus Gizmo Angus 1227 758 842 4.00 15
1197 Angus Gizmo Angus 1221 746 826 3.81 19
1196 Angus Gizmo Angus 1238 766 814 2.29 60

As of this report there are 127 bulls on the test, they will weigh them again on September 18th. For more information on the test you can go tohttp://nfrec.ifas.ufl.edu/fl_bull_test/ This years sale is scheduled for January 18, 2014. They have a good mix of breeds on test so if your in the market for a bull this should be a sale to check out. They will be posting updates on their web site as they go along. If you would like more information on the pedigrees of the Gizmo bulls you can check them out on our web site http://www.gizmoangus.com on the sale page.

Gizmom

good luck, looks like they are off to a good start.

We took the plunge and sent 2 bulls to North Alabama bull test this year.

Thanks jscunn, I don't put much stock in the first report they scramble around a bunch the first part of the test, but it's a start. I like this test because of the feed conversion aspect. We don't feed our young bulls hard to grow them out here on the farm, they get there but not as fast as when you really push them. To be honest we can't afford to feed all of our calves that hard, so they have to be able to get their on minimal input. This test allows us to see how they perform against one another, but also against other breeders programs and other breeds.

How are your bulls doing up North? It is a forage test isn't it? We have talked about sending bulls to that test just haven't pulled the trigger, due to the distance to haul them.

3waycross the age range for these calves is August - December 2012 calves, The four we sent are all October calves with birth dates ranging from 10/4-10/9. One of the calves is out of a first calf heifer that really did a good job with her calf, this calf is pretty deep into our breeding program on the top and bottom of his pedigree, needless to say I hope he performs well.

Gizmom

Gizmom,

No, North Alabama is not a forage test, it is a feed test. The ration is geared toward 3.5 - 4.0 #/day ADG. We are almost into the first official weigh date, all the bulls really gained well in the warm up period averaging 5.30#/day, but the weather was exceptionally cool. Our bulls are hanging in there with them, long way to go. I just hope they stay healthy and perform as well as they can. Certainly a good learning experience for us. Maybe one year if we keep doing this, we can haul some up there for you.

Just took mine in on 17 aug looking forward to see the results. starting weight was 750 lbs avg, after this test it's getting ready for feb bull sales minimum 3lbs a day hope to be more towards 4. 3 of these bulls have AI sires so we will see.

Double v

What bull test did you put bulls in? I see your from MO and realized that all I know about MO is:

St. Louis
The Arch
Sooners
Show Me

:( really sad when you think about it!

What kind of feed ration do they feed bulls in your test, it would be interesting to compare rations, I will contact the beef unit to find out what they are feeding this year. Maybe you can share a little more about MO with us.

Gizmom
http://www.gizmoangus.com

Seedstock plus has set up a test i think there is only 2 others in the state Green Hills and Mizzou doing all breeds. Seedstock is set up for gelbvieh, balancers RA and BA for members. Not sure if they are going to open it up to others. Will check this weekend on % protien being feed and what the ration is made of, i had looked at it and it looked to be a silage form. Will update after getting a little more info.

We have the best of both worlds our farm is about 28 miles from the gulf, so we can work cows then head to the beach. The heat is rough on the cattle, but if you were stationed at Eglin you have sure Nuff experienced Florida Panhandle heat and humidity. How is the weather you have in MO compared to the panhandle of Florida?

Gizmom

Not as bad with the humidity but not far behind. last years drought was rough on all, this year it's been different. 1 May we had snow the temps were real mellow most of the summer and not 90+ with no rain forecasted. Think this winter is going to be a bear hope not but won't be suprized.

Sooners? Missouri? Sooners?

I lived in Missouri for several years. I don't remember any Sooners...

Which MO Seedstock Plus sale do you sell at Double V? Bulls and heifers or just bulls? I get some of their info from time to time.

I will be selling 3 heifers in the showcase sale and this year i will have bulls in both the north and south sale, no sure about sending any to Tenn.

We received the first 28 day report, I would have thought they would have posted on their web site by now but so far they haven't. Our bulls are. Holding their own.

1238 arrival weight 766
Start weight (after warm up period) 814
28 day weight 908
28 day adg 3.36
Ratio 112

1239 arrival weight 646
Start weight (after warm up period) 759
28 day weight 854
28 day adg 3.39
Ratio 110

1227 arrival weight 758
Start weight (after warm up period) 842
28 day weight 930
28 day adg 3.14
Ratio 108

1221 arrival weight 746
Start weight (after warm up period) 826
28 day weight 912
28 day adg 3.07
Ratio 106

Next weights are scheduled for October 15th it will be interesting how much they will shuffle around this go round.

Latest posts