Florida Bull Test Catalog and Videos are up.

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm planning on going this year. And I'm going to try and buy M5's mom's coconut cream cake or whatever it is, at the FFA booth. The bake sale is almost as good as the bull sale.

I don't think they have loaded all the videos yet last time I looked they had 64 videos up and they have more Bulls catalogued than that.

I like
But since we bred and raised all 5 of them I would have to admit a good amount of bias on my part. I am honestly having trouble picking a favorite between 21 and 22 both are out of cows that have been favorites since birth. Both are out of Pathfinder cows either one of these Bulls should make excellent calves with the added bonus of making keeper females.

I had someone make a comment to me on the lack of Brangus Bulls in this sale. To be honest I don't know why that is I know we have some good Brangus programs in our part of the country. Your thoughts?

Gizmom

True grit, I hope to see you and m5 at the sale again this year. I will have to check out the bake sale.
Gizmom,
You are not playing fair.. I wasnt including my bull on my list. You certainly have the best set of bulls there.. strong from top to bottom. As far as brangus bulls I think it may be a couple of reasons.
1. Brangus will be challenged to perform at the test kinda like the straight Brahman cattle struggle at that test.. growth curve is just different on bos indicus cattle.
2. All the good brangus cattle outfits in the Southeast have there on sales, so no need to market like we have to.

I would like to see some there. I have a feeling that brangus would do real well at feed efficiency. .

The boss and I haven't been to the sale in the last few years so I am looking forward to going this year. Scott you know I don't play fair.....you have seen me play checkers! Your bull looks really good they have a strong offering from what I have looked at so far. I haven't had a chance to look at all the videos yet but sure like what I have seen.

Gizmom

jscunn":2qvnrfqz said:
True grit, I hope to see you and m5 at the sale again this year. I will have to check out the bake sale.
Gizmom,
You are not playing fair.. I wasnt including my bull on my list. You certainly have the best set of bulls there.. strong from top to bottom. As far as brangus bulls I think it may be a couple of reasons.
1. Brangus will be challenged to perform at the test kinda like the straight Brahman cattle struggle at that test.. growth curve is just different on bos indicus cattle.
2. All the good brangus cattle outfits in the Southeast have there on sales, so no need to market like we have to.

I would like to see some there. I have a feeling that brangus would do real well at feed efficiency. .

You sure that a Brangus cannot keep up with a pure Angus or Hereford?

Second year in a row that a lot of the more visually appealing animals were lower performing bulls. Interesting.

I didnt mean it as an insult to brangus genetics, mostly in terms of the growth curve in terms of maturity. The ration is not very hot so cattle with a longer growth curve wont put on fat to look acceptable for the sale. The straight brahman bulls there dont put on alot of fat and have trouble passing the bse. The bse problem is more due to the age of the animal at the time of bse, I dont think brangus bulls would have a problem with the bse. There has been discussions among the test committee about how to set up a test that would better suit brahman based genetics.

You havent seen the bottom of the bulls on video yet, ~100 bulls qualified for the sale. I guess the rest of the videos will go up next week. My guess on the visually appealing bulls on the bottom has to do with fat cover, they are fatter as a group than the top 20 or so. The bulls as a group are better this year than last imo.

I have scanned through a few more of the videos, I like 62 and 63 they have the phenotype I am drawn to. I like 62 better than 63 if your buying based on EPD's you won't want the 63 bull. The last thing I look at is the EPD's when you look at 63 and see his genetics you realize that this calf is out of AAR New Trend and a daughter of 6807 old foundation genetics. These are the kind of genetics to breed a herd around but they won't give you big numbers.

we put a young bull out with the heifers on Wednesday! We have the older cows set up to breed on the 5th and 6th. Out ET work will be finished on the 10th then it will be time for a break! Of course we have rain forecast for the 5th and 6th we pull CIDR's tomorrow on recips and the rain forecast is 100%. Have I ever mentioned that cattle seem to loose their minds when their backs get wet.

Got home from the farm and cooked all my goodies for tomorrow. Sat down with a catalog and the computer and took the time to look at every video they currently have up on the Bulls. I confess I like all 5 0f ours they aren't perfect but overall a nice set. My list besides our own Bulls would be

Of the Gizmo calves I really just like the all.

Happy New Year!

Gizmom

Lots 21 and 22 look to be very nice bulls Gizmom! I would have a hard time picking a favorite between the two. Lot 32 would also be one of my favorites in terms of phenotype.

Thanks Backbone since I love the phenotype of your cattle that comment just makes me do a happy dance! I honestly try to be unbiased when it comes to judging my own cattle I confess that I haven't mastered it. I think it has to do with knowing the genetics behind a calf, when you do it's just hard to be totally impartial.

Gizmom

jscunn":25f3ee88 said:
I didnt mean it as an insult to brangus genetics, mostly in terms of the growth curve in terms of maturity. The ration is not very hot so cattle with a longer growth curve wont put on fat to look acceptable for the sale. The straight brahman bulls there dont put on alot of fat and have trouble passing the bse. The bse problem is more due to the age of the animal at the time of bse, I dont think brangus bulls would have a problem with the bse. There has been discussions among the test committee about how to set up a test that would better suit brahman based genetics.

You havent seen the bottom of the bulls on video yet, ~100 bulls qualified for the sale. I guess the rest of the videos will go up next week. My guess on the visually appealing bulls on the bottom has to do with fat cover, they are fatter as a group than the top 20 or so. The bulls as a group are better this year than last imo.

Thanks for your thoughts. So, the bulls that presented a more complete package from the visual presentation were actually the moderate, middle of the group bulls.

The top bulls had characteristics that were more terminal, the kind of bulls you don't keep the heifers. They looked a little over done and not as well put together.

Brangus is such a popular breed on a world wide scale but most people use an Angus bull on them. Probably another reason why they weren't in the bull test.

Latest posts