Floods Have Arrived

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
After nearly all summer of little to no rain at all, we have caught up and surpassed the normal rainfall in the last 2 weeks. Weve had major flooding in our area and its not over yet. Our ponds are all overflowed, the driveway to the house is flooded so bad the truck would be stuck if it wasnt for 4WD, and even the 4 wheelers almost got stuck there. The county road in front of the house has about 2 feet of water on it right now, and there is a backhoe on the side of the county road that has sunk in the mud and is almost tipped over, with water up to the cab. I didnt check the pond tonight, but on Monday after the storms it was flooded over, even though there is a 2 foot drop the water had to rise over. I imagine its much worse tonight than on Monday.

I wouldnt mind the flooding that much, we needed all the rain so bad, but when it floods, I have no way of getting into school, and being in college it gets difficult to miss any classes, much less 3 days in 2 weeks.

Ive barely seen the cattle out grazing in the past few days, they have been back in the woods hiding from the storms. I may just be paranoid, but it kind of worries me having that much water everywhere and a cow about to drop a calf.

Drought and floods in the same year, kind of ironic.

The good thing is that the rain came and it will likely be soaked up by the ground sooner, due to the previous lack thereof.

Just don;t get lulled into thinking that because you had flooding or an excess of rain that the drought is broken. It takes a long time for the soil moisture and aquafers to be regenerated to the pre-drought levels.
We had 3 years of drought then an abnormally wet year with the attndent flooding then a normal year and the springs are still dry except when we get excessive rain. Now we're back into the second year of this drought and even more springs are drying up.

dun

It seems like the real heavy rain kind of stayed east of Shiner. Ours rains have been in the 1/2-2 inch range with a lot more 1/2s.Z

Latest posts