Flood Plains

Help Support CattleToday:

My neighbor built three small homes on a flood plain, and has been renting them out for years. Only once in the last 30 years has he had to repair them due to high water. Says he did it because it is his only way to have an income in his elder years. He is a concrete contractor now, and knows he cant do that the rest of his life, and has no retirement (except the rent homes)

I was electrician for many years. One time boss sent me out to build a meter loop on a mobile home in new subdivision.The house was in Onion Creek bottom just a bit north of McKinney Falls park. I was busy digging a hole for the post to put meter loop on when lady comes over,starts telling me how pretty her new place is. I asked her if she knew she was in flood plain.She told me she had been assured she was not in flood plain. I took her to a big Cypress tree growing alongside the creek,pointed at the drift the last rise had left. Asked her what kinda bird made that nest. Drift was 15 foot above creek there. I went back and finished meter loop. Got back to office my boss was real upset,said the developer fired us from building any more meter loops for him. That creek bottom is full of mobile homes now. I knew the place because my pop rented it for cow pasture for several years. Saw that creek over the bridge on 183 several times.
BUYER BEWARE is all I can offer.

greybeard":1koog3ko said:
Most times, for me and my wife, too much heat and humidity and not enough sunshine TB. Before I moved back here, we lived out near San Angelo from '95-2005 on the Concho. I preferred that kind of country over what I had here, so I tried to get rid of as many trees as I could over the last few years. Before 2006, 80% of my place looked just like all the rest of that pic above--solid trees. A storm or flood may take me, but by gawd I want to at least be able to see it comin'.

NO kiddin'....I've been down thru those woods where you and CB hang out and a man could go crazy down there if he's use to seeing around corners and over hills...a neighbor can live 100 ft. from you and you never see a light or hear a sound. I'd just keep a clearing til I get it like I want it. ;-)

TexasBred":2xj7kslm said:
greybeard":2xj7kslm said:
Most times, for me and my wife, too much heat and humidity and not enough sunshine TB. Before I moved back here, we lived out near San Angelo from '95-2005 on the Concho. I preferred that kind of country over what I had here, so I tried to get rid of as many trees as I could over the last few years. Before 2006, 80% of my place looked just like all the rest of that pic above--solid trees. A storm or flood may take me, but by gawd I want to at least be able to see it comin'.

NO kiddin'....I've been down thru those woods where you and CB hang out and a man could go crazy down there if he's use to seeing around corners and over hills...a neighbor can live 100 ft. from you and you never see a light or hear a sound. I'd just keep a clearing til I get it like I want it. ;-)

I love the thicket, it just aint for folk's a little bit scarry.
I used to hunt by going on a six mile walk over to the neighbors and he would give me a ride back.
I have had people tell there is no way they would go through those wood's by theirselves.
The fork's of the river are most definitely not for the faint hearted. Until Rita that was my favorite hunting spot accessable by boat only. Game was unbelievable, just watch out for the lizards and snakes. It was the dangdest place for red wasp not unusual to see nest the size of a 10 quart bucket. Get going down the sloughs in a jon boat before daylight they can make you not worry about the gators.

Ya can't go very far up or down my part of the SJ river anymore--even in a canoe--(I tried) too many trees down after those last 2 storms. I think they still have an annual canoe run down the west fork tho. Lake Conroe to Lake Houston. Too many banjo playin type people on that west fork for me tho.

greybeard":1har6l2d said:
Ya can't go very far up or down my part of the SJ river anymore--even in a canoe--(I tried) too many trees down after those last 2 storms. I think they still have an annual canoe run down the west fork tho. Lake Conroe to Lake Houston. Too many banjo playin type people on that west fork for me tho.

I was talkin about the forks of the Angelina and Neches that is 13,000 acres just as God made it.

https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/h ... ty=hunting

greybeard":1uxxyxwx said:
This river was that way too when I was a kid CB--then God made another hurricane or 2 and it all changed.

I used to hunt the east fork San Jacinto bottom in the 70's.
Best cat squirrel hunting I ever seen. Be wading in hip boot's squirrel hunting come to a high spot better slip a buckshot in the barrel. Green Heads would be in that bottom by the millions.

The wood ducks and cat squirells are still here--and I spooked about 10 greenies off my pond earlier today with the tractor. I keep saying I'm going to build some duck nesting boxes but never seem to get around to it. I don't know how any of them survive with all the coyotes we have now.
The tree rats are the scrawniest squirells I ever saw tho.

Funny you mentioned squirrels GB.
I''m just fixin to set down to a big ol bowl of squirrel and dumplins. :lol:

Cal

Latest posts