flood lights

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Does anyone have this brand of light or anything similar? I saw this and wondered if anyone has used these inside a shed or building. It has 3900 lumens in big and bold so I guess that's really bright. I am wiring up a shed and wonder if I should use these lights inside or just a couple shop lights.

After you install it, just leave your ladder next to it because you will be climbing the ladder frequently changing out the bulb. I wouldn't buy it. Heck, I have two fairly brand new ones in the scrap pile. The bulbs they use SUCK and they aren't cheap. Get a regular flood light. One of the kind that has a good carbon footprint and be happy and have light.

The bulbs will drive you bonkers. I have 7, of about the same thing up. 6 of them shoot all the time, and one has been up since 2006 with the same bulb in it. Drives me crazy.

The longest I ever got out of a bulb was maybe a year. The light that was at the highest point on the barn went out three times within a year. They give great light but the bulbs are just terribly unreliable. And don't under any circumstances touch the glass on the bulb else the oil from your hand will cause the bulb to burst when it gets hot.

I have handled mine with everything I can think of-------brand New Jersey gloves, cotton, tissue, toilet paper. It makes no difference.

I kept packs of bulbs in a drawer near where I had them and left the ladder within 10 feet of the lights. I finally got sick of climbing the ladder in the dark and just tore them out and replaced them with a double bulb flood light. Maybe not as bright of light but I have more area lit now than I did. I'll never buy another one.

Deepsouth":jbyagbix said:
I've never seen or tried one but it looks like it should be pretty good. I'd try it especially for that price.

That's what caught my eye. The shoplights are about 20 bucks each.

Jogeephus":jbyagbix said:
After you install it, just leave your ladder next to it because you will be climbing the ladder frequently changing out the bulb. I wouldn't buy it. Heck, I have two fairly brand new ones in the scrap pile. The bulbs they use SUCK and they aren't cheap. Get a regular flood light. One of the kind that has a good carbon footprint and be happy and have light.

I have a twin tower light with those lil 500watt bulbs and those suckers will go out if you look at it wrong. I thought it may have been some new and improved bulb.

Bigfoot":jbyagbix said:
The bulbs will drive you bonkers. I have 7, of about the same thing up. 6 of them shoot all the time, and one has been up since 2006 with the same bulb in it. Drives me crazy.

I guess that answers that lol I will just try 2 shot lights per shed bay. Those 500 w light bulbs blow so much I buy cases at harbor freight I don't need that anymore lol I did buy a led light that i was shocked it wasn't as bright as those 500w bulbs it was even a led the light im talking about is in the link below

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/cata ... e_7792.jpg

Lumens is how much light they put out, as opposed to watts which is how much energy a bulb consumes. Here's a rough equivilent chart.
40 watt incandescent = 380 – 460 Lumens
60 watt incandescent = 750 – 850 lumens
75 watt incandescent = 1100 – 1300 lumens
100 watt incandescent = 1700 – 1800 lumens

The math isn't linear as you increase tho. That particular Brinks light is equivalent to the old 300W halogen.

I've had nothing but trouble with halogen floodlights. The metal spring thingie the bulb sits in just gets weak after a couple months and the bulb no longer gets a good connection. I got sick of climbing up a ladder everytime I turned around. That was with Leviton brand--your results may vary with the Brinks. Maybe they have changed how the bulb installs now. I'm switching over to LED everytime a fixture goes out. Expensive, but I've had good luck with them and they put out a heck of a lot more light than incandescent and they last longer than halogen.

When ever I have trouble figuring out if a product is worth my time/money i research the net for the EXACT item and look at the reviews. good and bad ones because sometimes the item may be over all and ok item but it may have issues I don't want to deal with. As for light fixtures, the easiest way for me to decide is basically what the others have complained about, how hard will it be to change a bulb out if it blows? how much will that bulb cost me to replace? and them based on what I've seen/heard here.. get you an LED light that goes on your head .. 2 AAA batteries and then you just use it as needed. Always do your homework, check to see where everything is made. Also make sure on something like that, the warranty will be honored. If you buy 7 identical items and 6 of them give you problems and one doesn't..that is a manufacturer defect and you should've gotten those exchanged. Just because it's new doesn't mean it cant be defective and most companies send out bad stock on purpose to fill orders and have no problem dealing with returns because by then they have usable products ready to go. Look at Sony and the PS3 game system.. they intentionally pushed that system onto the market to make their Christmas sales knowing full well that ALL the systems would be returned because NONE of them were really playable. But once Christmas was over they had all the glitches worked out and were ready for all the returns. As far as handling the bulbs, use surgical gloves and make sure the bulb you have purchased has never been opened before. We had this problem with the new style headlight bulbs back in the 90's .. you had to handle the bulbs by the base and turn yourself into Gumby in order to replace the headlight in your car. It was nerve racking until you got the hang of it. Shop smarter, not harder :) good luck with this and big hugs

greybeard":2zuhkdiu said:
Lumens is how much light they put out, as opposed to watts which is how much energy a bulb consumes. Here's a rough equivilent chart.

The math isn't linear as you increase tho. That particular Brinks light is equivalent to the old 300W halogen.

I've had nothing but trouble with halogen floodlights. The metal spring thingie the bulb sits in just gets weak after a couple months and the bulb no longer gets a good connection. I got sick of climbing up a ladder everytime I turned around. That was with Leviton brand--your results may vary with the Brinks. Maybe they have changed how the bulb installs now. I'm switching over to LED everytime a fixture goes out. Expensive, but I've had good luck with them and they put out a heck of a lot more light than incandescent and they last longer than halogen.

GB thanks for the explanation I am going to convert my house lights to led this year it says they last like 15 years.

skyhightree1":2rxcb6ac said:
greybeard":2rxcb6ac said:

GB thanks for the explanation I am going to convert my house lights to led this year it says they last like 15 years.
Just be aware that not all leds are the same. Some people have complained about cheap ones not working in cold weather.
Mine have worked as low as 17 degF--hasn't gotten any colder than that since I put them up.

Latest posts