Flipping a few cows/heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Flipping few cows and heifers past two weeks / was seeing if anyone did it on here had any advice been buying 6-7!yr old brangus cows 7-8 months bred making 50-125 a head minus diesel cost. Buying a few brehmer heifers and tigers as well they been more expensive as well price profit been smaller .
As well as what do guys charge delivering.... ?? Thanks if i missed anything love If you guys could add. I'm only buying a hand 3-5 at a time going to sale to sale ....

Could be burning through your profits only buying a handful from sale to sale?

Bfields30 said:
Flipping few cows and heifers past two weeks / was seeing if anyone did it on here had any advice been buying 6-7!yr old brangus cows 7-8 months bred making 50-125 a head minus diesel cost. Buying a few brehmer heifers and tigers as well they been more expensive as well price profit been smaller .
As well as what do guys charge delivering.... ?? Thanks if i missed anything love If you guys could add. I'm only buying a hand 3-5 at a time going to sale to sale ....

You can draw a 60 mile circle around yourself and have a cow sale 6 days a week , so yeah you can pull that off here and there. But you start trying to be a full time cow jockey and the order buyers will sniff you out and gun you down right quick.. LoL.

If you buy them right, hold them over winter, calve them out, don't loose any, and have a nice matched group to sell at grass time. Yeah, you probably could make $50-$125 a cow. But not flipping them in two weeks
It's a skill like everything else. I know a cattle buyer/trader (like him or hate him you got to respect his ability). He buys 2-3 pot loads of mrkt cows at sales every day, six days a week. He can look at a cow and tell where she is just full or five months bred. The potential breds get bought under an "X" then preg checked after the sale. If their bred they go home until he has a matched group for a bred cow sale. If there open they go in with the rest of the mrkt cows he bought that day destined for the packers. He's probably been buying cattle for close to fifty years.

You have to be pretty certain about your potential market and what they will buy and how much they are willing to pay. I have a good friend who did it for years. He was buying feeder cattle in western Washington and hauling them over the mountains to eastern Washington. Buying on Friday and selling the following Thursday. Had to have pretty much a full trailer to make it pay. He figured he needed to make $100 per calf for it to work out. He quit. Not because he wasn't making money. He got to hating that weekly trip over the mountain pass.

callmefence said:
Bfields30 said:

You can draw a 60 mile circle around yourself and have a cow sale 6 days a week , so yeah you can pull that off here and there. But you start trying to be a full time cow jockey and the order buyers will sniff you out and gun you down right quick.. LoL.
Lol yeah I know what I have my eyes on when I get there which if it's not in my price range for me to make profit i won't get it. But I've also learned a lot and met some older timers that been giving me some knowledge here and there.

SBMF 2015 said:
If you buy them right, hold them over winter, calve them out, don't loose any, and have a nice matched group to sell at grass time. Yeah, you probably could make $50-$125 a cow. But not flipping them in two weeks
It's a skill like everything else. I know a cattle buyer/trader (like him or hate him you got to respect his ability). He buys 2-3 pot loads of mrkt cows at sales every day, six days a week. He can look at a cow and tell where she is just full or five months bred. The potential breds get bought under an "X" then preg checked after the sale. If their bred they go home until he has a matched group for a bred cow sale. If there open they go in with the rest of the mrkt cows he bought that day destined for the packers. He's probably been buying cattle for close to fifty years.
Yeah I seen plenty of those at a few sales I've been to that I've seen quote of few just like you described.

Dave said:
You have to be pretty certain about your potential market and what they will buy and how much they are willing to pay. I have a good friend who did it for years. He was buying feeder cattle in western Washington and hauling them over the mountains to eastern Washington. Buying on Friday and selling the following Thursday. Had to have pretty much a full trailer to make it pay. He figured he needed to make $100 per calf for it to work out. He quit. Not because he wasn't making money. He got to hating that weekly trip over the mountain pass.
Yeah I've building a smaller customer base one guy likes older heavy bred brangus 5-7 yrs old and have a few more like Brahman cows and cow and heifers with ear. I try to find the sales with herd sell outs: older guy died and kids sold whole herd 75 breds:pairs 5-8 yr old with good pairs on there side that had a lot of life left I made quite bit of money off resell

Bfields30 said:
If I deliver what should I charge mileage what's a good rate ?

This depends on where the buyer is in relation to you. Personally, if I were to purchase cows from you, I would expect you to deliver without a charge. I wouldn't expect this if we were hundreds of miles away but if we were across the county or within 50 miles, I would expect you to deliver.

Bfields30 said:

On a regular basis....I'd rather have a place to go with them and know I could at least break even.

Past couple years I've been on the fence about staying in or getting out. Started buying middle aged bred cows that need some tlc but mostly something better to eat than the were getting. Goal was to get the calf and add weight to the cow then sell. Still have some of the better 80 cent cows. The others, mostly broke even on the calf and weight cows @ $.50 - $.60. Almost doubled my money with some this last go round but I managed to bail before covid wrecked it.

Personally I'm not savvy enough to trade cattle week to week, but I'll dabble and pick off some from time to time for a longer term trade. Been 7 weeks since I've been to a sale and wanted to go today to see how which the wind is blowing but didn't make it. Got a lot of grass some hungry cows could use but I'm in no hurry to buy when slaughter is backing up like it is.

1982vett said:
Bfields30 said:

On a regular basis....I'd rather have a place to go with them and know I could at least break even.

Past couple years I've been on the fence about staying in or getting out. Started buying middle aged bred cows that need some tlc but mostly something better to eat than the were getting. Goal was to get the calf and add weight to the cow then sell. Still have some of the better 80 cent cows. The others, mostly broke even on the calf and weight cows @ $.50 - $.60. Almost doubled my money with some this last go round but I managed to bail before covid wrecked it.

Personally I'm not savvy enough to trade cattle week to week, but I'll dabble and pick off some from time to time for a longer term trade. Been 7 weeks since I've been to a sale and wanted to go today to see how which the wind is blowing but didn't make it. Got a lot of grass some hungry cows could use but I'm in no hurry to buy when slaughter is backing up like it is.
Yeah i also buy what I like to so if they don't sale lol no problem I'll let them calve out and let them raise a calf. Yeah but everything I been selling is good enough to keep and nothing has just been junk.

Latest posts