Flies

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have 2 yearling heifers I am growing out on pasture, and the flies look like they are starting to bother them bad. I have an absorbent scratching post that I soak with Pour On/Backrubber Spray (Pyrethrins), but I have yet to see them use this. I am ready to try another strategy, but with only 2, every penny I spend cuts into any profit I may make. I was thrinking of trying the ZipCide(Sp.?) dust bag, and was wondering how that works. I was also thinking of trying to apply a spray directly to the heifers, and I am not sure how lifestock reacts to this. I would have to close them in the barn to spray them, and I would not want them to get too worked up while penned in. Should this be a concern? Thanks, Mike

[email protected]

> I have 2 yearling heifers I am
> growing out on pasture, and the
> flies look like they are starting
> to bother them bad. I have an
> absorbent scratching post that I
> soak with Pour On/Backrubber Spray
> (Pyrethrins), but I have yet to
> see them use this. I am ready to
> try another strategy, but with
> only 2, every penny I spend cuts
> into any profit I may make. I was
> thrinking of trying the
> ZipCide(Sp.?) dust bag, and was
> wondering how that works. I was
> also thinking of trying to apply a
> spray directly to the heifers, and
> I am not sure how lifestock reacts
> to this. I would have to close
> them in the barn to spray them,
> and I would not want them to get
> too worked up while penned in.
> Should this be a concern? Thanks,
> Mike

You will probably need to pen them to apply a spray effectively, as you said. They will get mildly annoyed, but get over it quickly.

[email protected]

We spray our Longhorns with a hand-held pump-up sprayer using Pyrethrin insecticide. Spray them while they are eating flakes of alfalfa or at the feed trough. Can usually spray 2-3 seconds before they move away, but quickly come back to eating. Takes several shots at spraying on each one; however, they tolerate it well.... Very carefully, using medium coarse spray, spray their poll/horn areaa when they are still, along with topside, sides, feet/legs, underside if needed. Keep spray away from eyes, muzzle, reproductive organs, anal area. We also use this spray around our premises and around house and our dogs. This is a botanically derived insecticide which is considered "safe" for most animals. Check your label for precautions and dosage mixing with water.

We also use the "SweetLix" molasses mineral blocks with Rabon insecticide which works on fly development in the manure droppings. There are several formulations of this product...check for the correct one to use on your cattle...think one of their formulations is safe for horses too...again, check labels carefully.

Backrubbers seem to only be effective if the cattle have no other way to travel except under the rubber. Calves often get missed and will also go under the attachment points of rubber which is higher.

[email protected]

> I have 2 yearling heifers I am
> growing out on pasture, and the
> flies look like they are starting
> to bother them bad. I have an
> absorbent scratching post that I
> soak with Pour On/Backrubber Spray
> (Pyrethrins), but I have yet to
> see them use this. I am ready to
> try another strategy, but with
> only 2, every penny I spend cuts
> into any profit I may make. I was
> thrinking of trying the
> ZipCide(Sp.?) dust bag, and was
> wondering how that works. I was
> also thinking of trying to apply a
> spray directly to the heifers, and
> I am not sure how lifestock reacts
> to this. I would have to close
> them in the barn to spray them,
> and I would not want them to get
> too worked up while penned in.
> Should this be a concern? Thanks,
> Mike

Attach the backrubber to the entrance of your pen and give them their supplement in the pen. You can also place their mineral and water in there. I've used the dust bags before and didn't like them. We have put a couple of Martin houses up and haven't had to use a rub sense.

Tod

Latest posts