flies

Help Support CattleToday:

When I was a little kid and would "help" work calves my dad would tell me the same thing every time I would shoo flies. "Son, if you want the get the flies out of your face you're gonna have to cut a hole in the seat of your pants."

> I have a herd of 20 beef cattle in
> a pasture that adjoins my yard. I
> live in southeastern NC. The flies
> are unbearable around my house.
> Any advice?

Some of it depends on what kind of flies you are dealing with.

You can use pesticides, but they are toxic and require repeated spraying.

I suggest using fly traps, combined with fly parasites, if you are not using any poisonous sprays on your property (sprays will kill the fly parasites, too).

I hang disposable fly traps by my dog kennel and it's made a big difference. Ditto with hanging them near corrals where our cattle and horses are.

Starting early in the season gives you best results, but you can make a difference now.

I use the disposable fly traps. The bait stinks, but attracts the flies. In lieu of commercial bait, a piece of meat in the bottom of the trap, works, too.

I just found some fly traps that are designed to fit the neck of a gallon milk jug. I think those should work well for us. I HATE emptying thousands of putrid flies out of a reusable trap!

If you know the owner of the cows, you might talk to him or her about setting up a fly rub. Fly rubs have pesticide in them, usually mixed with diesel fuel, and when the flies scratch on them, the insecticide rubs off on their hair, which repels and helps kill flies - and makes the cows more comfortable.

> Any advice?

> Any advice?

You should be using the "Fly Blocks" to reduce the reproduction of the flies.This is a protein block that has a substance that goes through the cows and kills the fly larvae when they hatch in the manure.This along with spraying every couple of weeks or using a back rub.

[email protected]

Latest posts