Flies

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My wife and I have a small operation only about 20 head. We have a bad fly situation this year so far. I have a spayer and a set of pens to work the cattle in but I am worried about spraying all the cattle the same. What I mean is, I can get all the cattle (Bull, all age cows, 1st year heifers, and calves some still nursing and some not) in the catch pen with cubes. Can all the cattle be sprayed with the same chemical or should I try something a little more personal to each animal? Thanks

[email protected]

We use permethrin in diesel fuel on everything. Never had a problem

dunmovin farms

> My wife and I have a small
> operation only about 20 head. We
> have a bad fly situation this year
> so far. I have a spayer and a set
> of pens to work the cattle in but
> I am worried about spraying all
> the cattle the same. What I mean
> is, I can get all the cattle
> (Bull, all age cows, 1st year
> heifers, and calves some still
> nursing and some not) in the catch
> pen with cubes. Can all the cattle
> be sprayed with the same chemical
> or should I try something a little
> more personal to each animal?
> Thanks

There are at least two maybe three options you might want to consider. If the animals (exception baby calves) need to be wormed you might consider ivomec injected or pour-on or eprinex pour-on which is also an ivermectin. You could spray with permethrin ( I use Coral) and just not direct the spray to the calves. Or a cheap and effective control that will need periodic application is a product like Cylence applied as a pour on. I would not do anything to the baby calves.

My wife and I have a small
> operation only about 20 head. We
> have a bad fly situation this year
> so far. I have a spayer and a set
> of pens to work the cattle in but
> I am worried about spraying all
> the cattle the same. What I mean
> is, I can get all the cattle
> (Bull, all age cows, 1st year
> heifers, and calves some still
> nursing and some not) in the catch
> pen with cubes. Can all the cattle
> be sprayed with the same chemical
> or should I try something a little
> more personal to each animal?
> Thanks

[email protected]

We pinkeye vaccinate all cows. While out in the leased pasture, the cows have a rub (check NASCO's rub - about $30 or less) saturated with permethrin & diesel.

For around the home place, we put out fly parasites and use disposable fly traps. I used to use the huge jar fly traps, but got tired of the "ick" when emptying them.

It helps to start early with fly control - before they have a chance to start laying eggs.

With the parasites, you can't use any insecticides, but the combination of the parasites and traps works well around here. I must stress - start early!

Latest posts