Flies

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I live in Texas and the flies are already bad here. I have a holstein cow due to calve in the next six weeks. Would it be OK to spray her. She does not like for anyone to get near her and I don't want to stress her to much. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Toni

[email protected]

If you use a tank sprayer and mix a permethrin type fly stuff with whatever is recommended (we use diesel) you should be able to get a good mist that will fog her from a distance.

dunmovin farms

> I live in Texas and the flies are
> already bad here. I have a
> holstein cow due to calve in the
> next six weeks. Would it be OK to
> spray her. She does not like for
> anyone to get near her and I don't
> want to stress her to much. Any
> suggestions would be appreciated.
> Thanks, Toni

I have discovered that what a cow objects to the first time, isn't what she will object to the third or fourth time that you do it to her. They like a pattern, and while I understand that you just want to know if you can do it all from a distance, let me encourage you to try to set up situtions where she has to walk past you to get to her food, etc. I have only had one old cow from Dad's who just has refused to like me no matter what I do... she has no intention of even tolerating me...but that is another story. My husband rigged up a long stick that I could hang over something and pour the stuff down their back. After spending days walking around the pasture perimeter morning and evening until they quit noticing me, I was finally able to get up to them while they were laying down and pouring the Topline on that way. Take your time, and they don't seem to spook too badly. Good luck.

[email protected]

Latest posts