Flies... the never ending battle

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady":1ms58rwp said:
. Nothing more satisfying then driving past the pasture and seeing cows resting comfortably without constantly swatting at flies.

I agree, I cant stand to see any of my animals covered in flys. Im putting up a rub this weekend. :D

gabby":69i3ujha said:
TexasBred":69i3ujha said:
gabby":69i3ujha said:
If you use fly blocks or fly minerals, you can kiss your dung beetles goodbye. They won't totally control flies anyway. I quit using fly minerals 2 years ago and my little turd eaters are still missing and their food source just lays there forever. I use back rubs and spray now. Spraying is best in my book but it takes more time.

Absolutely false...neither IGR or Rabon is harmful to dung beetles. You may not have dung beetles but it has nothing to do with fly control minerals or blocks.

I had plenty of dung beetles before I used fly minerals. Nothing else changed.
Weather? Severe drought may affect them. My dung beetles were kind of sparse in the drought. With moisture they came back like never before.
I don't use chemical fly control. And can not believe that a chemical that controls flies does not also control dung beetles. What are the active ingredients in IGR and Rabon?
How do they work?

We always use pour on when running them through the shute while working them. I also carry a gallon pump up sprayer on the 4 wheeler and have used it so much the old cows hardly pay any attention to it. Sure makes those little feller run and kick up their heels though.

Cal

I rotate pastures every few days to a week -- I'd like to have a fly rub that they have to go under to get to the waterer, but don't know how I'd make it work in every pasture-- any ideas?
thanks!

Susie

susie":sqrus1pk said:
I rotate pastures every few days to a week -- I'd like to have a fly rub that they have to go under to get to the waterer, but don't know how I'd make it work in every pasture-- any ideas?
thanks!

Susie

I have two lanes from all pastures that come together at the one waterer. I put up a posts at the intersection where the rub attaches to a big eye bolt. There is a heavy hook on one end and I and swing the rub over one way or the other so they have to go under the rub to go to the waterer. This works nicely but a 16 ft rub with a couple gallons of diesel in it may be a bit much for some folks to move. You may just want to put up more than one - across each of the lanes to the waterer depending on your layout. I think they are worth the trouble but maybe try one lane first. Do you have one central waterer? You could just make a 4 post support around the waterer and surround the water with a couple rubs. Good luck.

For the areas of temporary water points I set up corral panels to make an enclosure aorund the tank and leave a gate open that they have to pass through to get to the water tank.

I sent away for fly predators. Hey we spent enough last year so why not give it a try. We only have 2 cows. Already have seen a decrease in flys and only have had one shipment so far. These little buggers go to fly larva and use it as their mediam to breed themselves. Wish we had dung beetles, even have tried to find some for sale. No such thing I guess.

Great ideas for the temporary cattle rub-- thank you!!
sounds easy enough!

Susie

presmudjo":6gw954js said:
I sent away for fly predators. Hey we spent enough last year so why not give it a try. We only have 2 cows. Already have seen a decrease in flys and only have had one shipment so far. These little buggers go to fly larva and use it as their mediam to breed themselves. Wish we had dung beetles, even have tried to find some for sale. No such thing I guess.

One thing that helps with flies and fertilization of the pasture is to run a drag over the pasture soon after you shift animals out of one. The drag breaks up the cow pies and spreads them so in the next decent rain they break down a lot faster. Also have fewer of the grass "avoidance" rings next time the cattle are in the pasture. They seem to not touch the grass for about a foot radius from an intact cow pie. Break them and spreading them with a drag shortens this avoidance period. Not sure if this is applicable to two cows.

I read all this thread and the rabon and the like kinda bothers me. My little guy (5mo) is constantly rubbing on me and my 4yo daughter helps feed him most every day. Is there any thing that is a natural fly control? Or at least safer for human touch? What about Diatomaceous Earth?

Irishred":34jd0oft said:
I read all this thread and the rabon and the like kinda bothers me. My little guy (5mo) is constantly rubbing on me and my 4yo daughter helps feed him most every day. Is there any thing that is a natural fly control? Or at least safer for human touch? What about Diatomaceous Earth?

Fly swatter maybe?

Walt

Txwalt":3fm28qte said:
Irishred":3fm28qte said:

Fly swatter maybe?

Walt

:lol2: :lol: ... thanks Walt, I'll think about that one. :roll:

Irish...DE will kill flies. The flies just have to get some of it on them for it to work. Spread some all over any holding pens or calf pens as well, put it on the dogs and cats. Works great on fleas and ticks but will also kill any good insects that get it on them.

Latest posts