Flies, flies and more flies...

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

The cattle herd is being plagued by flies this year worse than any year in recent memory. Any ideas of what is an effective treatment to get rid of them? Thanks...

[email protected]

> The cattle herd is being plagued
> by flies this year worse than any
> year in recent memory. Any ideas
> of what is an effective treatment
> to get rid of them? Thanks...

I use Double Barrel fly tags on my calves...I order them from a livestock catalog or get them from the vet..they are spendy but after using the store bought brands, these are well worth the costs. You have to be extremely careful handling them...they are very toxic..I didn't take precautions and had a reaction to them, I now wear rubber gloves to put them in. They work very well..I don't put them on the cows but the interaction between the cows and the calves give protection to the cows. I also put up a dust bag with Co-ral but find only some of my cattle will use it..some will go to great lengths to avoid going under it, even when put in a spot where they have to go through it...others look like casper the ghost as they like to play with it...good luck on the flies...

[email protected]

There's lot of ways to deal with flies -- personally, I prefer to keep things as natural as possible.

There are tiny parasitic wasps that you can purchase (sometimes through a feed store) that will feed upon the fly larva, eliminating the hatch of adult flies.

I raise rabbits, and flies are a tremendous problem in a rabbit barn. Over the years I've used all the methods of controlling them -- sprays, traps, wasps, etc. But the best thing I ever found to eliminate the flies is imitation vanilla added to the drinking water at the rate of 1 tsp per gallon -- within 3 days, there was not a fly to be found in the barn. With vet's approval, I tried it for our Jersey and while it didn't work as well as for the rabbits, it did reduce the population. I now wipe her down every other day with imitation vanilla and that works!

It may sound expensive, but vanilla is available in half-gallon and gallon jugs, even in double and triple strength. Gallons can be ordered through a bakery. I buy by the half-gallon at Sam's ($3.50) and since I now buy no other pesticides, it's actually cheaper.

Ann Bledsoe -- Bledsoe's Bunnies

Breeder of Quality Satin Show Rabbits

Bledsoe's Bunnies Rabbitry
[email protected]

Latest posts