Flexible Water Lines

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We are getting ready to increase number of paddocks & ,of course,will increase our water troughs.Now,I need a good source & some suggestions for above ground flexible water lines to use that WILL HOLD UP!! Any suggestions appreciated!

[email protected]

anything out poly ethylene will work, but it's best to put them underground anyways. above ground always gets messed around with and will invariably break down.

[email protected]

Agree...best to bury any type of pipe, even if only 2-3 inches to keep sunlight off it. Of course, for freeze prevention of lines, need to bury below freezing line.

Polyethylene (aka "black flexible poly pipe") that comes in rolls is relatively stable in sunlight and will expand some without breaking if water freezes in low spot. PVC (polyvinylchloride) pipe (preferable "Schedule 40 or Schedule 80") is more expensive, but sturdier.

Above-ground PVC can last up to about a year in direct sunlight without bursting if it is not walked on or driven over. I would not keep above ground pipe pressurized if you can't be around every day to turn water off if it happens to burst without your knowing it.

I have also used the gray, PVC schedule 40 electrical conduit for above-ground lines for special situations. It is very sunlight resistant and UL approved for electric lines permanently installed in sunlight. It is primed and glued just like the regular white PVC water pipe.

I would not use any PVC pipe rated as "Class 160" or "Class 200" for above-ground piping. Stress level is much lower than Schedule 40 or 80.

Hope this helps! (I'm also a Texas Licensed Irrigator).

[email protected]

We use and have used for a goodly number of years, black poly pipe 1 1/4. Burying it would not be a very good option in our what passes for) soil. The only lengths avaialble around here is 100 foot rools. Burying a joint every 100 feet also seems rather pointless. The little skinny crap, I think around 1/2 or 3/4 breaks down just from the cows walking on it. The 1 1/4 holds up but were we drive we bury it, or in some places lay it on the surface and pour a couple of inches of concrete over it. We keep it pressurized for weeks at a time and haven't had problems. The previous "putz" used to leave it turned on almost continuously with out any problems. Where it passes through hay fields it's driven on by tractors, balers, etc. Still no problems. We're getting ready to put in another 2500 feet of the same stuff. We drain it when we start getting hard freezes and move the ladies closer to underground water supplies.

dun

> Agree...best to bury any type of
> pipe, even if only 2-3 inches to
> keep sunlight off it. Of course,
> for freeze prevention of lines,
> need to bury below freezing line.

> Polyethylene (aka "black
> flexible poly pipe") that
> comes in rolls is relatively
> stable in sunlight and will expand
> some without breaking if water
> freezes in low spot. PVC
> (polyvinylchloride) pipe
> (preferable "Schedule 40 or
> Schedule 80") is more
> expensive, but sturdier.

> Above-ground PVC can last up to
> about a year in direct sunlight
> without bursting if it is not
> walked on or driven over. I would
> not keep above ground pipe
> pressurized if you can't be around
> every day to turn water off if it
> happens to burst without your
> knowing it.

> I have also used the gray, PVC
> schedule 40 electrical conduit for
> above-ground lines for special
> situations. It is very sunlight
> resistant and UL approved for
> electric lines permanently
> installed in sunlight. It is
> primed and glued just like the
> regular white PVC water pipe.

> I would not use any PVC pipe rated
> as "Class 160" or
> "Class 200" for
> above-ground piping. Stress level
> is much lower than Schedule 40 or
> 80.

> Hope this helps! (I'm also a Texas
> Licensed Irrigator).

> Agree...best to bury any type of
> pipe, even if only 2-3 inches to
> keep sunlight off it. Of course,
> for freeze prevention of lines,
> need to bury below freezing line.

> Polyethylene (aka "black
> flexible poly pipe") that
> comes in rolls is relatively
> stable in sunlight and will expand
> some without breaking if water
> freezes in low spot. PVC
> (polyvinylchloride) pipe
> (preferable "Schedule 40 or
> Schedule 80") is more
> expensive, but sturdier.

> Above-ground PVC can last up to
> about a year in direct sunlight
> without bursting if it is not
> walked on or driven over. I would
> not keep above ground pipe
> pressurized if you can't be around
> every day to turn water off if it
> happens to burst without your
> knowing it.

> I have also used the gray, PVC
> schedule 40 electrical conduit for
> above-ground lines for special
> situations. It is very sunlight
> resistant and UL approved for
> electric lines permanently
> installed in sunlight. It is
> primed and glued just like the
> regular white PVC water pipe.

> I would not use any PVC pipe rated
> as "Class 160" or
> "Class 200" for
> above-ground piping. Stress level
> is much lower than Schedule 40 or
> 80.

> Hope this helps! (I'm also a Texas
> Licensed Irrigator).

Thanks guys-I have heard of & saw ,on the Cattle Today Cable Show,some flexible water line that was highly UV tolerant,very flexible,even stood up to cattle traffic, & they drug it all over the place!! But no name was mentioned.Where we are going to put new paddocks,almost impossible to bury! Thats why we are looking for above ground flexible, water line.But we really need a good SOURCE for this stuff! Thanks again

[email protected]

I think what you are referring to is K Line irrigation hose. It is supposed to be very flexible, is left on top of the ground and every fifty feet there is a small pod in which there is an irrigation head. Yes, they drag this around through the field even with cows in it.

Made in New Zealand and a distributorship is being set up now.

Home company is: <A HREF="http://www.rxplastics.co.nz/" TARGET="_blank">http://www.rxplastics.co.nz/</A>

The American distributor, as I am told will be: <A HREF="http://www.trickl-eez.com/" TARGET="_blank">http://www.trickl-eez.com/</A>

Bill

> Thanks guys-I have heard of &
> saw ,on the Cattle Today Cable
> Show,some flexible water line that
> was highly UV tolerant,very
> flexible,even stood up to cattle
> traffic, & they drug it all
> over the place!! But no name was
> mentioned.Where we are going to
> put new paddocks,almost impossible
> to bury! Thats why we are looking
> for above ground flexible, water