Flesh wound

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Had a weanling get a softball size flesh wound today on a fencepost. It appears to be all skin and no deeper. There's no bleeding but a pretty good flap of skin hanging off him. He doesn't seem to even notice. No way it can get stitched. Since it's still cold and snowy here (no flies) I'm inclined to let him be. Thoughts?

I suggest leaving it open and NO antiseptics as they all slow healing. If infection is a potential use inject. antibiotics. Sounds like this one will take care of itself.

Good luck!

G Lesamiz, DVM

angus9259":1z8hwg67 said:
Had a weanling get a softball size flesh wound today on a fencepost. It appears to be all skin and no deeper. There's no bleeding but a pretty good flap of skin hanging off him. He doesn't seem to even notice. No way it can get stitched. Since it's still cold and snowy here (no flies) I'm inclined to let him be. Thoughts?

If he is confined to a corral, and the wound is dirty I would consider washing it out with peroxide. Otherwise, I would simply keep an eye on this particular animal and let nature do its thing.

Peroxide is a good cleanser for new wounds ~ as msscamp said, if wound appears dirty. There are better things to use, but that will do. Do not use peroxide after initial cleansing, it will damage new skin growth.

Thanks for the feedback.

I did not know peroxide hurts new skin development. There was no mud for the first couple days of healing so I'll avoid that.

Also, did not know topical antiseptics retard healing. Why is that? What of the common practice of iodine on navals of newborns? I don't do that, but have considered it.

There are wound sprays you can buy, over the counter, and they are really quite effective. If you think the animal needs a little something, look at the wound sprays.

Alice

angus9259":s9a55oqt said:
Thanks for the feedback.

I did not know peroxide hurts new skin development. There was no mud for the first couple days of healing so I'll avoid that.

Also, did not know topical antiseptics retard healing. Why is that? What of the common practice of iodine on navals of newborns? I don't do that, but have considered it.
I was told by my vet as well that topical sprays can retard healing. I don;t know why, he probably said, but was awhile ago.

Iodine ~ we don't do that, but ours are born out in the pasture on the ground. Is good if they are in a pen to calve, or anywhere its dirty. Better to be safe than sorry if you have concerns.

I strongly disagree with above posts suggesting peroxide or most any other topical product. Historically we've all done it but it is not in the animal's best interest. Almost all topical products including peroxide and most iodines are irritative to the fragile tissue and will retard healing, the two exceptions in my opinion are VERY dilute solutions of either povido iodine(betadyne) or VERY dilute solutions of chlorhexidine(nolvasan) and dilute means 2-4 oz to a gallon of water and then irrigated thru a syringe, etc under pressure and never scrubbing with ANYTHING. I believe the best cleanser is water thru a garden hose, no topical medication and parenteral antibiotics to fight infection from the inside out.

G Lesamiz, DVM

glesamiz":1xof0yle said:
I strongly disagree with above posts suggesting peroxide or most any other topical product. Historically we've all done it but it is not in the animal's best interest. Almost all topical products including peroxide and most iodines are irritative to the fragile tissue and will retard healing, the two exceptions in my opinion are VERY dilute solutions of either povido iodine(betadyne) or VERY dilute solutions of chlorhexidine(nolvasan) and dilute means 2-4 oz to a gallon of water and then irrigated thru a syringe, etc under pressure and never scrubbing with ANYTHING. I believe the best cleanser is water thru a garden hose, no topical medication and parenteral antibiotics to fight infection from the inside out.

G Lesamiz, DVM
yep ~ that was the news from my vet as well. Right down to the water from the garden hose.

The reason those topical antiseptics are harsh to flesh is the reason they work. They kill living organisms. If the wound bled good and is clean you don't need them, if there is a lot of dirt, the trade off in damage to the wound is made in killing off the bad stuff as well.

If you have a big flap of skin it may dry out and die - you might want to trim it off so it doesn't catch on things and tear the original wound back open repeatedly. At least on horses, I tend to stitch skin back in place if it is clean and alive. Don't think I have ever actually seen it on a cow.

Hippie Rancher":11k1bxr8 said:
The reason those topical antiseptics are harsh to flesh is the reason they work. They kill living organisms. If the wound bled good and is clean you don't need them, if there is a lot of dirt, the trade off in damage to the wound is made in killing off the bad stuff as well.
I see what you are saying ~ but think that there is a better way. Flush the wound, I use a spray bottle on a size like the one mentioned. Blue wash if I have it (I cannot remember what this is, I want to say antimicrobial (or microbial??), am not sure. Is NOT antiseptic or antibiotic), water if I don't. Give injectable antibiotic if you are concerned with infection ~ No harm done.

If you have a big flap of skin it may dry out and die - you might want to trim it off so it doesn't catch on things and tear the original wound back open repeatedly. At least on horses, I tend to stitch skin back in place if it is clean and alive. Don't think I have ever actually seen it on a cow.
I agree ~ get rid of any skin flap. All the stiching I have done comes undone ~ not enough blood flow to site of damage, skin dies, stiches slough out. Then I have to deal with it twice. If I start stiches back into viable flesh, then the flesh puckers. Maybe I am not so good a surgeon. ;-) I would advise trimming them off.

Well I, for one, am glad I read this thread all the way through. I'd known about not using peroxide, but I didn't think a thing about squirting some wound spray on a cut or a gash or whatever. This is good to know. Thank you all! :)

Alice

I've read all this and it sounds like mine get better in spite of me . Probably old habits will die hard and I will continue to use iodine on wounds . Peroxide seems to work well on my finger when I cut it , seems to keep the soreness out if I use it a couple times a day . When I cut bulls I always spray with iodine whem I'm finished . A few years back we ran out of iodine before we finished and had several get infected .

Larry

angie":31c8gdc1 said:
I see what you are saying ~ but think that there is a better way. Flush the wound, I use a spray bottle on a size like the one mentioned. Blue wash if I have it (I cannot remember what this is, I want to say antimicrobial (or microbial??), am not sure. Is NOT antiseptic or antibiotic), water if I don't. Give injectable antibiotic if you are concerned with infection ~ No harm done.

The only "blue wash" I'm familiar with is what the vets standardly use for cleansing wounds and sterilization... it's chlorhexidine (Nolvasan) and is an antiseptic along the same lines as iodine (very strong).

Yep, thats what it is. Called my vet today. When I use it, it is very, very watered down. Like a splash in the spray bottle. Have not had any in forever.

Arkieman":a0r3f6y7 said:
I had a horse tear a flap of skin back on her hip just as you described. We didn't want a scar. A friend of mine told me to get a can of Granulex and spray it every time I could. It supposed to promote skin regrowth. It healed perfectly w/o hardly even leaving a scar...

Here's a link. http://www.pfizerah.com/product_overview.asp?drug=GV&country=US&lang=EN&species=EQ

I've used Granulex on horses and cows and I thought it was great stuff. I wonder if Granulex is considered a topical ointment.

Alice

I will. Thanks.

It's been over a week now and I haven't done anything. Still no bleeding, no appearance of infection. They skin flap has fallen off. The calf still doesn't notice. Amazing what these critters can endure.