Fleckvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross breeder #1

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any breeders around NE MO or have any pictures? I wouldnt really want a bull just a cow or 2 becase i think they are very pretty though maybe not the most effecient :bang: i justwant one any way

Cross breeder,

I too like the Flecks and have considered buying a Fleck cow, or breeding one of our other cows to a Fleck bull via AI just to have a Fleck influenced cow on the place. In my opinion the traditional looking Simmentals, including Flecks, are some of the most attractive cows to ever eat grass.

Though I don't know of any Fleck breeders in NE MO, Jerry Brink in NE Iowa (www.brinkgenetics.com)isn't too far away. He is a true stockman and livestock breeder, and would have some very functional Flecks.

There is a breeder near KC name Duane Stoll (816.732.5574) who also may have some for sale.

Good luck!

I understand. Our cow herd consists of primarily solid reds and blacks, and truthfully it gets a little boring seeing the same solid colored cattle all of the time.

I also feel that a Fleckvieh cow offers way more than a pretty cow to look at. In general Fleckviehs are fertile, have good growth, and milk well; attributes that serious cattle producers want. Also, they cross really well with Angus and Red Angus, providing some very desirable feeder calves and replacement heifers.

Good luck on your search for a Fleckvieh cow.

Some of the best cows I ever owned were out of a Fleck bull and JD Hudgins Brahman cows, personally I think one of the reason Simbra cows have fallen out of favor is the use of today's Sims versus those ol fullbloods

no doubt they have more to offer than just looks. Find you some females that are in the 13-1400 range and you'll have some that will be as good a cow as any. Put you a good terminal bull over those high milking moderate frame cows and youll always bring a good product to town..

A question: In the brinkgenetics link- they refer to the Flecks as a "strain" of the Simmentals. They look like what I call, and will always call, a Simmental. Is there a difference between Fullblood Simmentals and Fleckviehs?

Massey135":1u6nfwx7 said:
no doubt they have more to offer than just looks. Find you some females that are in the 13-1400 range and you'll have some that will be as good a cow as any. Put you a good terminal bull over those high milking moderate frame cows and youll always bring a good product to town..

A question: In the brinkgenetics link- they refer to the Flecks as a "strain" of the Simmentals. They look like what I call, and will always call, a Simmental. Is there a difference between Fullblood Simmentals and Fleckviehs?
Don;t ever call a Fleckvieh a Simmenthal to a Fleck breeder. Pie Rouge, Montbeliard, Fleckvieh, and several others are lumped together as strains of Simmenthal

Good question Massey. When Simmentals were introduced to North America in the late 60's and early 70's, imports came from a few different European countries. My understanding is that the Simmys from Germany and Switzerland were also called Fleckvieh, and strains from France were also known as Pie Rouge and Montbeliard.

If I remember correctly, a long time and fairly influential Simmy breeder once told me that the Fleckvieh seemed to cross best with the North American cattle. Seems to me he told me that the Flecks tended to be a bit more moderate in frame and also were a bit more of a beef animal than some of the other strains of Simmentals. For example, I believe the Montbeliard cattle tended to have a more dairy type.

You can buy Montbeliard semen from most of the AI studs. Crossbreeding of dairy cattle has started and they were one of the first to jump on. They're to beefy for a modern dairy but the semen is out there.

Well, the first thing that got my attention is that the bull doesn't have as much white as most Fleckviehs. If your goal is to have some Fleck looking animals, you may want to go withan AI bull with a completely white face, as well as white on the underline, legs, etc. so that you have a greater chance of getting calves that have the Fleck look.

Apparently this web site hasn't been updated in a while since his EPDs are from 2009. You mention that he has good calving ease but his calving ease EPD is very low and his birth weight EPD is very high. You may want to check his current EPDs on the ASA website.

Only you can answer how many cows to AI to the bull. However, if your goal is to get an Fleck influenced heifer out of the deal, and assume that you are going to only get 50% conception and 50% heifers, you would need to breed four cows:
4 cows @ 50% conception = 2 calves
2 calves X 50% for heifers = 1 heifer

Good luck!

This bulls calving ease improved greatly with a CE index of -1.7 and a BWT EPD 6.4; not great but better growth EPDs improved slightly. not a bad choice for a polled fleck bull. My only reservation is that he may not be as muscled as some fleck bulls.

cow pollinater":1beqdvdq said:
You can buy Montbeliard semen from most of the AI studs. Crossbreeding of dairy cattle has started and they were one of the first to jump on. They're to beefy for a modern dairy but the semen is out there.
There are two or three dairies near me that are using Montbeliard's. They are all grazing dairies and the modern Holstien doesn't handle the Texas summers very well. Montbeliard's have higher butter fat and protien than Holstiens. They red color is also a plus for Texas summers.

The Montbeliard and Norwegian Red are being used used to improve fertility and disease resistance in dairy herds as the Holstein has problems in these areas. The Montbeliard is built like a Ayrshire cow with a little more fleshing ability-but not much muscle.

Cross breeder #1":xq419hq6 said:
thanks i appreciate not critisizing me for wanting something just to look at
Hey, if I had the bucks I would have about a dozen head of a bunch of different breeds, just to tend and look at. Don't think twice about the long tongues on CT, I don't suppose any of them are paying your way.

his actual birth weight is 86 pounds so thats fine with me and as far as not having as much muscle thats ok. right below the genestar stuff are his actual #s "DOB 1/19/05 BW 86, WW 820; YW est 1320; Actual 2 year weight 2005; Mature Weight 2550"

There are lots of Fleckvieh bulls that are more widely available with far better calving ease numbers than the bulls discussed. Genex, Bouchard Livestock, Universal to name a few distributors with plenty of Fleck bulls to choose from that you will have far less calving issues with.

lynnmcmahan said:
Cross breeder #1 said:
thanks i appreciate not critisizing me for wanting something just to look at
Hey, if I had the bucks I would have about a dozen head of a bunch of different breeds, just to tend and look at. Don't think twice about the long tongues on CT, I don't suppose any of them are paying your way.

Lynn, I feel the same way. I"d have a couple Fleckvieh, Braunvieh, Murray Grey, Normandie, Red Angus, Santa Gertrudis, Beefmasters, and others too.

the BW might be from other fleck cows with higher birth weight therefore running up his #s because as i already said his birth weight was 86 pounds.

Latest posts